Snap General Election called

Zhivago

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Zhivago »

Shooting themselves in the foot - what'll they do when the mass wipeout of bees results in crop failures

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Digby

Post by Digby »

And yet they'd almost certainly win an election were it held next week
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Can someone explain to me how Labour aren't ahead in the polls. How the f... can people still be supporting this Tory government??

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:Can someone explain to me how Labour aren't ahead in the polls. How the f... can people still be supporting this Tory government??
Corbyn.

Corbyn was extremely toxic and his leadership needs a full exorcism.

Then Starmer needs to display some of his own policies so votes know what he stands for. At the moment he is seen as more competent than Corbyn and Johnson, but his policy isn't understood.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Corbyn is still a factor. Starmer has closed the gap but there's work to do for Labour to present itself as an effective Govt in waiting.
The Tories still have a pretty strong core support. Many will think they have been presented with a once in a lifetime challenge with Covid and did the best they could. Many will also be seeing what happens with Brexit.
On any objective analysis this Govt are plainly hopeless, led by someone wholly unfit to hold office. Yet Johnson isnt a complete liability - yet - and the Tory brand hasnt been as badly hit as it might be.
The public will likely view things differently once the economics turn against the Govt, as they are bound to do next year.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Zhivago wrote:Can someone explain to me how Labour aren't ahead in the polls. How the f... can people still be supporting this Tory government??
If you get your news from the Sun, Mail, Telegraph, Times, you'll see little reason to change your view.

It's possible that this might change a bit when the polls come in from this weekend onwards... those papers are not entirely happy about flip-flopping and cancelling Christmas. Although the Sun says it show he cares.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Wait for the shortages...they're coming.

And when that happens, there's nothing BJ can do to save the sinking ship.

I feel sorry for all you guys. January is going to be one motherfucker of a month for you guys.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
If you get your news from the Sun, Mail, Telegraph, Times, you'll see little reason to change your view.

It's possible that this might change a bit when the polls come in from this weekend onwards... those papers are not entirely happy about flip-flopping and cancelling Christmas. Although the Sun says it show he cares.
The Time is far more critical of the government, although I agree that they are a long way from supporting Starmer.

The Sun editorial yesterday mentioned that they hoped that the recent decision wasn’t based on dodgy science again. A really unhelpful editorial in the midst of a pandemic.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

fivepointer wrote:Corbyn is still a factor. Starmer has closed the gap but there's work to do for Labour to present itself as an effective Govt in waiting.
The Tories still have a pretty strong core support. Many will think they have been presented with a once in a lifetime challenge with Covid and did the best they could. Many will also be seeing what happens with Brexit.
On any objective analysis this Govt are plainly hopeless, led by someone wholly unfit to hold office. Yet Johnson isnt a complete liability - yet - and the Tory brand hasnt been as badly hit as it might be.
The public will likely view things differently once the economics turn against the Govt, as they are bound to do next year.
And Starmer had/has a huge mountain to climb. His real concern is that Boris is knifed by his own party and someone more competent replaces him.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Stom wrote:

I feel sorry for all you guys. January is going to be one motherfucker of a month for you guys.
I know they are. I went to the British shop here in Amsterdam on the weekend, and all the shelves were empty. This is what the shops will look like soon in the UK, I reckon, once no deal hits.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Sandydragon wrote:
Corbyn.

Then Starmer needs to display some of his own policies so votes know what he stands for. At the moment he is seen as more competent than Corbyn and Johnson, but his policy isn't understood.
Labour has been doing pathetically ever since 2010. Blaming Corbyn is a very weak response. During Corbyn's time the centrists would castigate Corbyn because he wasn't further ahead. Yet Starmer can barely keep it at a tie... meanwhile the level of breathtakingly brazen cronyism and sheer incompetence of the Johnson's government exceeds all known bounds unabated.

There must be some psychological explanation why so many English people choose this bunch over the others. I guess the propaganda is just too strong.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Sandydragon wrote:
fivepointer wrote:Corbyn is still a factor. Starmer has closed the gap but there's work to do for Labour to present itself as an effective Govt in waiting.
And Starmer had/has a huge mountain to climb. His real concern is that Boris is knifed by his own party and someone more competent replaces him.
They'd probably just go and pick JRM though...

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Stom

Post by Stom »

Zhivago wrote:
Stom wrote:

I know they are. I went to the British shop here in Amsterdam on the weekend, and all the shelves were empty. This is what the shops will look like soon in the UK, I reckon, once no deal hits.
No mince pies here, no port...
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Stom wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
Stom wrote:

No mince pies here, no port...
Yeah that's what we were looking for too. We'll have to make our own this year.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

morepork

Post by morepork »

Let me know when you start eating the recently deceased.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Donny osmond »

Stom wrote:

Shortages, if they occur, will be blamed squarely on the evil EU. As propaganda goes, that's piss easy basics.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Digby

Post by Digby »

morepork wrote:Let me know when you start eating the recently deceased.
Nothing to worry about there, a fantastic supply of suet which is very useful with the amount of mincemeat being made up
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
Corbyn.

Labour has been doing pathetically ever since 2010. Blaming Corbyn is a very weak response. During Corbyn's time the centrists would castigate Corbyn because he wasn't further ahead. Yet Starmer can barely keep it at a tie... meanwhile the level of breathtakingly brazen cronyism and sheer incompetence of the Johnson's government exceeds all known bounds unabated.

There must be some psychological explanation why so many English people choose this bunch over the others. I guess the propaganda is just too strong.
Before Corbyn was Milliband, who was equally pathetic. You also had 13 years of Labour in government which is why they were beaten in 2010 and the poor performance of Milliband, plus the spectre of a Labour government being propped up by the SNP, was enough to tilt the 2015 election towards the Conservatives.

Blame propaganda all you want, but the Labour leadership has been uninspiring, if not downright incompetent. Even at his peak, Corbyn could not convince enough people that they would want him over Theresa May. The Labour Party should stop blaming others for its debates at look at itself.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
They'd probably just go and pick JRM though...
I expect him to be a candidate. I suspect Sunak is the favourite. Gove will be in there too, and it wouldn't surprise me if a few of the other nearly rans of recent years popped back up again, like Leadsom.

If the Tories pick JRM they are totally fucked. If Starmer cant beat him then its time to give up.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

morepork wrote:Let me know when you start eating the recently deceased.
Define recent. Is it acceptable from an culinary perspective to dig them up? Just asking for a friend....
morepork

Post by morepork »

Before Digby has defiled it.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Sandydragon wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
Sandydragon wrote: Corbyn.

Before Corbyn was Milliband, who was equally pathetic. You also had 13 years of Labour in government which is why they were beaten in 2010 and the poor performance of Milliband, plus the spectre of a Labour government being propped up by the SNP, was enough to tilt the 2015 election towards the Conservatives.

Blame propaganda all you want, but the Labour leadership has been uninspiring, if not downright incompetent. Even at his peak, Corbyn could not convince enough people that they would want him over Theresa May. The Labour Party should stop blaming others for its debates at look at itself.
I’m going to have to disagree with that. Recent Labour leaders have been no more uninspiring nor incompetent than recent Tory leaders. The difference is those Tory leaders have the media behind them while Labour do not. Labour are not popular with billionaires and media owners.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Boris takes the cake and special olympics gold star for incompetent leader now, surely? A random number generator would be a better option at this point.
Stom

Post by Stom »

morepork wrote:Boris takes the cake and special olympics gold star for incompetent leader now, surely? A random number generator would be a better option at this point.
No, Corbyn would have been tote worse, like. I mean, he REALLY hates the jews and wants to take away our homes and cars and give them to illegal immigrants. And he hates Britain. Just look at him, he looks like a man of principle, pah.