NFL Draft

Digby

Re: NFL Draft

Post by Digby »

he looks like he knows his doughnuts, and cannolis, and cheesecake, but it might well not be cobblers
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote:Supposedly, this dude knows his onions when it comes to the Texans:

Well if you think that it cost the Rams two firsts, two seconds and two thirds in exchange for a first, a fourth and a sixth to move up from 15 to 1 to get Goff. Considering how that worked out I'd say that sounds about right for Watson who is proven to be a top 5 quarterback, though I guess that you have to set the value of a rookie contract against that.

Alternatively the trade for RG3 cost two firsts, a second and a third to move up four spots. If I was the Jets I'd do it and see if the Texans could be persuaded to take Darnold for one of the two's.
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:If Stafford is worth a good starting QB, two first rd picks and a third rd pick, I dread to think what you’d need to give up to get Watson. All that said, the beat writers in NY seem more and more convinced the Jets are contemplating trading for him. They certainly have the ammo and the salary cap space but would Watson really want to move to the Jets.
Rumours flying around that Watson wanted Saleh as head coach and part of the reason he wants out is that the Texans didnt even offer him an interview. Also New York gives Watson the profile to maximize his non salary earnings. Dolphins also being mooted, with Tua being part of the package.

A podcast that I listen to ran through the recent first round picks of the teams at the top of the draft. You have to go quite a long way down the draft order to find a team where the three most recent years worth of picks aren't worth trading for Watson. For the Jets it would be Beckton, Williams and Darnold, which I would trade for Watson in a heartbeat. Go back another two years and add Adams and Darron Lee and I'd still do it.

I'd also probably trade Aiyuk, Kinlaw, Bosa and McClinchey, though that's a harder call. Giants it's a no-brainer (Thomas/Baker/Lawrence's/Jones), though the Bills recent history is better (Diggs/Oliver/Edmunds/Allen).
The Rams had to pay the Lions more due to the insane contract Goff has. He is way overpaid.

The dynamics of the Watson trade are interesting, two of the obvious QB needy teams are in division so they are out and I guess for the Texans the preference should be to get him out of conference.

I think the Panthers could put together a good offer using no.8, 2022 and 23 1sts plus Bridgewater as a bridge QB. They have the offensive weapons to turn that around quickly.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Superbowl time. Anyone watching and care to hazard a prediction?

Chiefs look too good to me. Too much speed on offense. They win a shoot out and if it's a tight low scoring game (unlikely) then I prefer their running backs and Mahomes' ability to conjure something
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: NFL Draft

Post by Donny osmond »

switchskier wrote:Superbowl time. Anyone watching and care to hazard a prediction?

Chiefs look too good to me. Too much speed on offense. They win a shoot out and if it's a tight low scoring game (unlikely) then I prefer their running backs and Mahomes' ability to conjure something
Hahahaha yeah watching for the first time on years and it's quite the game so far. You can tell Mag mes is a mm away from producing something special but he's staying determinedly away from actually producing it, and his team aren't helping him at all. Brady showed being the GOAT with that last drive of the half, fckin hell that was something to watch.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NFL Draft

Post by Donny osmond »

Donny osmond wrote:
switchskier wrote:Superbowl time. Anyone watching and care to hazard a prediction?

Hahahaha yeah watching for the first time on years and it's quite the game so far. You can tell Mag mes is a mm away from producing something special but he's staying determinedly away from actually producing it, and his team aren't helping him at all. Brady showed being the GOAT with that last drive of the half, fckin hell that was something to watch.

Mag mes = Machines, sorry

It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NFL Draft

Post by Donny osmond »

Donny osmond wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:

FFS! Mahomes

switchskier

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NFL Draft

Post by switchskier »

Donny osmond wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:Hahahaha yeah watching for the first time on years and it's quite the game so far. You can tell Mag mes is a mm away from producing something special but he's staying determinedly away from actually producing it, and his team aren't helping him at all. Brady showed being the GOAT with that last drive of the half, fckin hell that was something to watch.

FFS! Mahomes

Yeah my prediction isn't really holding up so far. Turns out that missing your starting tackles is a but deal.

These ticky tack holding penalties are ridiculous though. Pretty much impossible for cornerbacks these days.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NFL Draft

Post by Donny osmond »

switchskier wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:

FFS! Mahomes

Yeah my prediction isn't really holding up so far. Turns out that missing your starting tackles is a but deal.

These ticky tack holding penalties are ridiculous though. Pretty much impossible for cornerbacks these days.
The conversation with my wife over what is "unecessary roughage" (but that means there must be necessary roughage??) And "unsportsmanlike conduct" is hilarious. That pass interference call at the end of the half where there was essentially no contact but it cost the chiefs fuck knows how many yards was ridiculous.

Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Like I say tho, you can just tell Mahomes is a genius, if he gets is together he can do it, single handed if required.

Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Scratch that, Tampa are just purring on offence, Chiefs aren't even in the game right now, nothing anyone can do about that

switchskier

Post by switchskier »

If Ryan Succopp is hitting 52 yarders then the Chiefs are done.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: NFL Draft

Post by Donny osmond »

switchskier wrote:If Ryan Succopp is hitting 52 yarders then the Chiefs are done.
Chiefs are done

Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Fucking hell this must be killing Mahomes, if just one guy on his team could catch they would right in this

Digby

Post by Digby »

Who showed the Chiefs video of England playing Scotland and said that's how you apply pressure? They'd get annoyed at being pinged and give away another penalty to show up the official, rinse and repeat

Incredibly stupid from the Chiefs defence, and incredibly selfish
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

What a (Golla)day to be alive. Shame Jones will get sacked before he can get rid of the ball.
I’m now hoping for Parsons at 11 and IOL, hopefully Dickerson, at 42.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote:What a (Golla)day to be alive. Shame Jones will get sacked before he can get rid of the ball.
Gettleman will never spend a first rounder on a line backer. Bet he goes full random and selects a guard to replace Zeitler or something. Just as long as you stay clear of the top corners in the draft please.

Golliday's a good player though. £40m guaranteed is a lot but will look reasonable if he produces as a number one receiver. Some scary offensive talent in that side.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:What a (Golla)day to be alive. Shame Jones will get sacked before he can get rid of the ball.
Gettleman will never spend a first rounder on a line backer. Bet he goes full random and selects a guard to replace Zeitler or something. Just as long as you stay clear of the top corners in the draft please.

Golliday's a good player though. £40m guaranteed is a lot but will look reasonable if he produces as a number one receiver. Some scary offensive talent in that side.
From what I’ve read, Gettleman, to keep his job, has ceded to signing/drafting players in positions/with traits that Judge and Graham ask for. Happy to trade back and draft Vera-Tucker to play at guard. Still expecting DG to draft IDL in rd 1 or 2....
Happy to pay for Golladay, he could be the missing piece on offence..... still expecting to underwhelmed.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Niners go crazy and trade up to three in the draft. We have up the number 12 pick, a conditional third and the next two first rounders to do so.

You've got to think that we're going QB. I assume Lawrence will be gone, and writers seem to have pencilled in Zach Wilson to the Jets. So either Fields or Lance it seems (hopefully not Mac Jones).

Ballsy move. I think we can win with Jimmy G, and I don't discount him being the starter this year if we take Lance and let him train for a year. I guess the thinking is to cut ties with Jimmy G next year and have a cheap QB when we have to pay Warner and then Bosa and Debo. Front load those contracts so that we stay competitive when our new QB wants to get paid in 4/5 years time.

Exciting times. Time to go watch some YouTube
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

After a long week at work it took me longer than it should’ve to get my head round the SF, Miami and Philly moves yesterday evening.
As you say, SF must be taking a QB and given all the noise I think you’re correct that it’ll be Lance. Wilson is widely believed to be going to the Jets and Fields’ stock seems to be falling.
That said, the NY beat writers I follow on Twatter who cover both franchises have been saying for weeks that all the noises are saying that the Jets think Darnold will thrive in a Shanahan offence and even that a free agent signing on the offensive side of the ball said he was told during negotiations that Darnold was staying as QB. Against, you’ve got to think that SF talked to the Jets about a trade and it hasn’t happened so they’ve either fallen in love with Sewell, Chase, Pitt’s etc or Darnold is gone. Joe Douglas has also said that he’s willing to listen to offers.
I love draft season.

Have you seen highlights of Wilson’s pro-day? Some of the throws are Mahomes-esque. There’s one where he’s fading left and then launches the ball 50ish yards smack bang into the receivers arms. Amazing.

Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

So, Darnold to the Panthers. The Jets are stacked with picks over the next two drafts.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I thought this interesting.
NYG has thrown more draft capital at tackle (plus a lot of $$ in free agency) and still only have half a good season out of Thomas to show for it. They’ve also used the third least draft capital at EDGE but have reaped what they’ve sown there. CB has the highest % of draft capital and will be manned by two free agents with a drafted player when in nickel.

switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote:So, Darnold to the Panthers. The Jets are stacked with picks over the next two drafts.
With all the picks for both the Dolphins and the Jets, plus the Bills bring on good shape, the Patriots could be in some long-term trouble. Which would be nice.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote:I thought this interesting.
NYG has thrown more draft capital at tackle (plus a lot of $$ in free agency) and still only have half a good season out of Thomas to show for it. They’ve also used the third least draft capital at EDGE but have reaped what they’ve sown there. CB has the highest % of draft capital and will be manned by two free agents with a drafted player when in nickel.

The niners 19% spent on edge would appear to be the highest of any team for any position. Mind you we've had two good defenses in that time, and a few terrible ones. Just goes to show that you still have to draft well, and then be able to retain some of that talent. Interesting to see a slight bias to corner for us given we can count on one hand the number of good corners we've had in a ever rotating cast.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:So, Darnold to the Panthers. The Jets are stacked with picks over the next two drafts.
With all the picks for both the Dolphins and the Jets, plus the Bills bring on good shape, the Patriots could be in some long-term trouble. Which would be nice.
Ha!