The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Mikey Brown

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Mikey Brown »

septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

About to announce the signing of an Argentinian winger. Looks another rapid one and decent player

But the big Weegie news today is the MD Nathan Bombrys moving on to an SRU position to do with international commercial opportunities.
Can't be over stated how important this guy has been for Glasgow.

he will be replaced by a weel kent face. Al Kellock
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

septic 9 wrote:About to announce the signing of an Argentinian winger. Looks another rapid one and decent player
and having posted that, they've announced an Argie fly half :o :lol:

Domingo Miotti

Still being linked to the winger in Argie media this morning
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

He looks decent. The only worry would be is it slows Thomson's development but wouldn't be too concerned at the moment.

They've really revitalised the backline for next year.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Whisper it quietly, but are Glasgow going to potentially be quite good next year? A lot of new faces to integrate and im sure some will work better than others, but it seems heartening that there seems to be a real strategy for how to evolve the squad both through recruitment and promoting young talent. It feels like a long time since that direction was clear: I'm not sure it felt that planning for the future was one of Rennie's strengths

Also, sad to see Bombrys depart, but he can go with his head held firmly high and good luck to him. Al Kellock has some big shoes to fill
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Another good win and Thompson's best game yet. His kicking at goal is so impressive for a youngster and that must take the pressure off. Great chip for McLean's try too.

Came back from 12-0 down and were close to denying Ospreys even a losing bonus point (which could be crucial in the race for third).

Can't resist saying they had to contend with some very unfortunate refereeing decisions too. None ridiculous in itself but several very damaging.

First O try - comes from penalty against Harley. Looks dumb but then you see ball carrying had clearly dropped it forward before going to ground. The ref checked a second half knock on with the TMO and could def have been helped out here.

Second O try - penalty try and yellow for Smith. Probs a deliberate knock on by today's standards but pen try debatable. O player probably would have carried over the tackler from 5 yards but less clear cut than many.

Third O try - clear pen in the ruck from Glasgow but only resulted from the ref not giving a clear penalty to McLean when he was all over the ball in the same ruck.

Ioane yellow and pen bringing I'd within 7 - arguable that he came in the side but clear that O player had sealed off the ball.

Anyway - delighted with that and a try for Lee Jones too!
Big D

Post by Big D »

Hastings was specifically banned for Zebre, Ospreys/Ireland and Italy so presumably he plays on Sunday?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote:Hastings was specifically banned for Zebre, Ospreys/Ireland and Italy so presumably he plays on Sunday?
he is free to play, yes. One of the coaches saying harsh to drop Thomson and Hastings looking for gametime so looking at how to fit both into the XV/23
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Ospreys beat Leinster so Glasgow can’t qualify for The CC next season.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Bit gutting - was banking on Leinster winning that one. Heard it was a bit of a collapse at the end too.

Thompson at 10 with Hastings at 15 is fun. Pete Horne back on the bench and Fraser Brown starting. Ferguson has been playing well at 12 too.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Rufus McLean just scored the try of the millenium
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Just a bit. That's some serious gas and what a step

whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

lovely try from Dragons
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Bonus point win v Treviso. Some wild moments (mainly from the more experienced heads) but another good game for Thompson and also Ollie Smith's best game yet. Comeback try from George Horne to round it off.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Cracking game so far.

Huw Jones looking very comfortable until he injured his foot.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
Adder

Post by Adder »

Second half going to crap...
TJ Ioane compulsory card...

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Jesus. What happened here? Was it an A side?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote:

far from it. Strong on paper. Some kids and a load of experience. Just did not gel, sooooooooooooo many mistakes. Thomson's kicking from hand was poor and cost 1st try. Kicked a good touch later but was good turnover asking to be run, and his passing was Laidlaw at 10 style - take time and space and pass to a man with a tackler in his face.

Then no structure and chased it too soon, so more handling errors.

Benetton played very well TBF. And Glasgow played the whole game a man short. Gray is done
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

septic 9 wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:

far from it. Strong on paper. Some kids and a load of experience. Just did not gel, sooooooooooooo many mistakes. Thomson's kicking from hand was poor and cost 1st try. Kicked a good touch later but was good turnover asking to be run, and his passing was Laidlaw at 10 style - take time and space and pass to a man with a tackler in his face.

Then no structure and chased it too soon, so more handling errors.

Benetton played very well TBF. And Glasgow played the whole game a man short. Gray is done
That was Johnson's kick for the first try I think. I'm not sure his kicking was a huge problem generally, it was more that it looked to me that Benetton read everything Glasgow's backs had up their slieve. I don't know whether that is tactics or just everything happening behind the gainline and too slowly. I'm also not sure they're as for as they used to be. They kept being outnumbered when the tried to switch the direction in attack.

Benetton also looked like they might turnover every ruck.

And Glasgow's defence was very leaky. Massive gaps and lots of missed one on one tackles.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

That’s two or three games where Glasgow look clueless.

Really need to find a few senior players who will stand up and be counted.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:
That was Johnson's kick for the first try I think. I'm not sure his kicking was a huge problem generally, .
you're right, Johnson tries to grubber through a space that wasn't there

Thomson's kicking from hand was poor though - the one I refer to above on turnover ball which was a good enough kick in different circumstances, but a poor decision on the day. A couple were just aimless hoofs too far for a good chase and straight down the middle which is the best to counter from etc. And his passing was shovel on slowly Mr Greig at his worst. Horne wasn't a whole lot better
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Folk calling for Wilson’s head. For me he needs another season, can’t imagine it’s a great feeling in the weeg dressing room , considering most of their top players have left and not been replaced.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

whatisthejava wrote:Folk calling for Wilson’s head. For me he needs another season, can’t imagine it’s a great feeling in the weeg dressing room , considering most of their top players have left and not been replaced.
Yeah, I would give him another season. Been a strange year this. The squad should be a lot better next season so it's a proper chance to see what he can do.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

whatisthejava wrote:Folk calling for Wilson’s head. For me he needs another season, can’t imagine it’s a great feeling in the weeg dressing room , considering most of their top players have left and not been replaced.
its nonsense from fools.

Players left, unable to recruit properly, nothing left in train by Rennie, new coach unable to oversee most of his best players for most of the season. Been a very very poor season and get the frustration but honestly Glasgow were dealt the shittest of hands this season, worse than any other by the combination of events
of course calls are led by same folk who criticised his appointment as an SRU dump rather than a promotion. Same as they said when Townsend was "dumped" from Scot Assistant coach to Glasgow head coach
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Tommy Seymour announced his retiral from rugby today. One of the very best. As we've seen this season, you don't know what you've got to its gone