Snap General Election called

Mikey Brown

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Mikey Brown »

Now that’s what I call journalism.

I think “rinsed” is putting it a bit mildly.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Puja wrote:The UK getting absolutely rinsed by the Papua New Guinea Courier, of all papers.

FB_IMG_1650617123597.jpg

Puja
Wow. And they got cross with C4 news? Snowflakes.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote:The UK getting absolutely rinsed by the Papua New Guinea Courier, of all papers.

FB_IMG_1650617123597.jpg

Puja
That has made me chuckle.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Will he stay or will he go? After what is clearly a defeat. I hope he limps on until the next GE...

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Quick update on the locals, 75 councils declared (so we're over half-way in England)

Labour +34 seats (2.9% increase)
Conservative -122 seats (18.4% drop)
Lib Dem +59 seats (29.5% increase)
Green +23 seats (143.8% increase)
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote:Quick update on the locals, 75 councils declared (so we're over half-way in England)

Might be a perfect result for the next election - it's clearly a sign that voters are finally turning against them, but it's not crippling enough that their albatross in Johnson will be convincingly forced out.

Labour need to be concerned that they're not making more of an impact though. Those results suggest plenty of anti-Tory voting, but not very much pro-Labour. I can respect Starmer keeping his powder dry for the main show. but I will admit to a little concern that he might not actually have very much powder in the first place.

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:Quick update on the locals, 75 councils declared (so we're over half-way in England)

Might be a perfect result for the next election - it's clearly a sign that voters are finally turning against them, but it's not crippling enough that their albatross in Johnson will be convincingly forced out.

Labour need to be concerned that they're not making more of an impact though. Those results suggest plenty of anti-Tory voting, but not very much pro-Labour. I can respect Starmer keeping his powder dry for the main show. but I will admit to a little concern that he might not actually have very much powder in the first place.

Puja
It's a great result for Labour to improve on the 2018 local elections (and for the Tories to fall even further). Good to see the possibility of the LibDems taking some seats that would never go to Labour too (although please, some sanity, and an electoral pact would really help).

Yeah, it might be just not enough to get rid of Johnson. Which (I think) would be a good thing for Labour in the next election. Still I wouldn't put it past the Tories to install a new leader 6 months before the next election and say, give us a chance we're a new party now.

(Labour really need to get past this Durham beer/curry bullshit though. I expect it'll come to nothing but if Starmer does get a fine, he'll have to resign.)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
It's a great result for Labour to improve on the 2018 local elections (and for the Tories to fall even further). Good to see the possibility of the LibDems taking some seats that would never go to Labour too (although please, some sanity, and an electoral pact would really help).

Yeah, it might be just not enough to get rid of Johnson. Which (I think) would be a good thing for Labour in the next election. Still I wouldn't put it past the Tories to install a new leader 6 months before the next election and say, give us a chance we're a new party now.

(Labour really need to get past this Durham beer/curry bullshit though. I expect it'll come to nothing but if Starmer does get a fine, he'll have to resign.)
Great results in Wales, Scotland and London. Whether the libdem vote will hold up in e GE is the question, as the answer is normally no.

I had to laugh at a Labour mp saying 'we are suffering from long Corbyn' (up north).
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:Will he stay or will he go? After what is clearly a defeat. I hope he limps on until the next GE...
Bad but not bad enough for him to resign is my feeling. This is Boris and he doesn’t do contrition.

Whether some of his MPs might submit letters is another matter but I also don’t get a sense of panic just yet. The northern core held up and Labour didn’t make the penetration one would have expected. Liberals traditionally do well in local elections so many Tory MPs might think this is the worst of it and it’s not worth the effort of a leadership election.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote:
Zhivago wrote:Will he stay or will he go? After what is clearly a defeat. I hope he limps on until the next GE...
Bad but not bad enough for him to resign is my feeling. This is Boris and he doesn’t do contrition.

Whether some of his MPs might submit letters is another matter but I also don’t get a sense of panic just yet. The northern core held up and Labour didn’t make the penetration one would have expected. Liberals traditionally do well in local elections so many Tory MPs might think this is the worst of it and it’s not worth the effort of a leadership election.
I mean, I can't see any situation where Boris would resign. He's impervious to any thoughts of doing the right thing.

He'll only go if MPs force him to go and I think you're right that they've just done enough to not be worth getting the knives out.

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:

I mean, I can't see any situation where Boris would resign. He's impervious to any thoughts of doing the right thing.

He'll only go if MPs force him to go and I think you're right that they've just done enough to not be worth getting the knives out.

Puja
It's the best result for Labour (if not for the country) for him to stay around. Boris's mask is off, everyone who would ever give a shit about having a liar and narcissist as a PM now knows all about it. And the longer the Tories keep him in place, the longer they confirm they're happy to have a liar and narcissist as PM, and the further they trash their reputation.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Cassetteboy doing their usual sterling work:

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote:Cassetteboy doing their usual sterling work:

Puja
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

The red meat distraction policies continue to come thick and fast with the Minister for 1850 announcing a reduction in the civil service by 90000. No doubt another well thought out policy that absolutely hasn’t been drafted on a post it note and isn’t heavily influenced by ideology.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote:
I mean, computer systems often are like that, so it's probably true that it would've been very hard to provide support in that way. However, I think a larger obstacle to providing support to poor people in a cost of living crisis is probably the fact that this government don't give a shit if poor people starve. That's much more likely to have been the limiting factor stopping you from helping, Rishi.

Puja
Last edited by Puja on Fri May 13, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

Now that is some offensively lazy and spineless bullshit. What a fucking mollusk.
Puja

Post by Puja »

capture2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:capture2.jpg

Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote:capture2.jpg

Useful knowledge, thank you. Have corrected my post of Facebook where I got it from.

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Which Tyler wrote:
Cute.

Too subtle though, best to say "why did YOU sign up to a deal so bad?"
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:Cute.

There's also this:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... otocol-spt
Staggering poll shows 94% of readers believe ‘we haven’t got the Brexit we voted for'
BREXIT promises have not been delivered, according to a new poll of Express.co.uk readers.

Son of Mathonwy

Which Tyler wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:Cute.

There's also this:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... otocol-spt
Staggering poll shows 94% of readers believe ‘we haven’t got the Brexit we voted for'
BREXIT promises have not been delivered, according to a new poll of Express.co.uk readers.
That's pretty funny. I guess they didn't get the magic unicorn they were promised.

The comments are funny. Some of them think that we got BRINO. If only.