The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Cameo

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Cameo »

I've enjoyed reading some of the names suggested in various forums and comment sections.

Sure, let's just hire Jamie Joseph. He withdrew his candidacy from the All Blacks job because he wanted to stay at Japan but I'm sure he would jump at the chance to come to Scotstoun.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f63b ... 4694342b48#

As ever, I think Barclay speaks really well on the Wilson sacking. I’m not pretending to know too much about Glasgow behind the scenes, but they’ve been quite a patchy side, with very little strength in depth, for quite a while now.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Brilliant last sentence.
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

think I may be finding (another) reason to visit France next season

https://www.uscarcassonne.com/2022/06/1 ... eme-ligne/
Big D

Post by Big D »

2nd tier of French rugby will be a good fit for him and allow him to top up his pension. Good long career and great club servant but definitely time he moved on and a good move it is.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Big D wrote:2nd tier of French rugby will be a good fit for him and allow him to top up his pension. Good long career and great club servant but definitely time he moved on and a good move it is.
Carcassonne had a good season in ProD2 and finished 5th and qualified for the play-offs, and should be there or thereabouts next season too.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Yeah, good on him. I assumed he would just retire.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Blackadder?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Sorry, can't be bothered to find the link at the moment but did everyone see the news that Pete Horne has been appointed skills coach.

Not a surprise given how everyone always talked about him but two thoughts:

1. Apparently it was advertised and the salary was £40k. I know that is a lot of money but for pro sports is that quite low or would every applicant just have to understand it's a stepping stone?

2. I like him (most of the time) as a player but I was always in two minds about his "skills" - it seemed to be more his brain that got him where it did. His pass seemed a bit floaty compared to the best and he never got that much distance on his kicks. Very good all rounder but not sparkling individual skills. Don't have to be perfect to be a great coach though.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Cameo wrote:Sorry, can't be bothered to find the link at the moment but did everyone see the news that Pete Horne has been appointed skills coach.

1. Apparently it was advertised and the salary was £40k. I know that is a lot of money but for pro sports is that quite low or would every applicant just have to understand it's a stepping stone?

2. I like him (most of the time) as a player but I was always in two minds about his "skills" - it seemed to be more his brain that got him where it did. His pass seemed a bit floaty compared to the best and he never got that much distance on his kicks. Very good all rounder but not sparkling individual skills. Don't have to be perfect to be a great coach though.
That role is a secondary background role so understandable it is a lower salary I suppose. There are main unit/position coaches in place so the skills coach will be involved but not one of the main voices.

Horne will need to be careful he doesn't end up floating around the Glasgow back room team the way Murray did. Would imagine Murchie and Dalziel are ahead of him in terms of progress.

One slightly concerning thing about the Glasgow HC search is that as the SRU don't really clear out the coaching staff, does that limit their HC search to a forward orientated coach? Hopefully not, but the candidates linked are older forwards biased coaches.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:Sorry, can't be bothered to find the link at the moment but did everyone see the news that Pete Horne has been appointed skills coach.

you don't seem to have watched Horne much. Huge player for Glasgow - many would tell you they played their best rugby when Peter played. His brain indeed is what set him apart - more brains than the current candidates for centre for Scotland combined TBH. All irrelevant anyway. Oh so many top players make shit coaches, and oh so many top coaches were distinctly average players who knew how to make the best of what they had - possibly one of THE most important attributes for a coach
The salary is what you get for a starter. Same job Mike Blair started coaching - skills coach at Glasgow
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

:lol:
septic 9 wrote:

you don't seem to have watched Horne much. Huge player for Glasgow - many would tell you they played their best rugby when Peter played. His brain indeed is what set him apart - more brains than the current candidates for centre for Scotland combined TBH. All irrelevant anyway. Oh so many top players make shit coaches, and oh so many top coaches were distinctly average players who knew how to make the best of what they had - possibly one of THE most important attributes for a coach
The salary is what you get for a starter. Same job Mike Blair started coaching - skills coach at Glasgow
You don't seem to have read my comment much :lol: - see "I like him as a player". Don't think anything I said was inconsistent with him having been a huge player for Glasgow.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

:lol:
septic 9 wrote:

You don't seem to have read my comment much :lol: - see "I like him as a player" and "very good all rounder". Don't think anything I said was inconsistent with him having been a huge player for Glasgow.

Interested if you disagree that his individual skills weren't sparkling - just didn't seem that way to me (again, not saying that means he can't coach them).
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Donny osmond »

1. No idea about the salary

2. I know what you mean. I was a big fan of his during his playing days but it can't be denied his skills let him often at crucial times. Trying miracle passes at daft times, trying to fire a bullet pass to someone 5 feet away and making it uncatchable, he had a lot of brain farts under pressure.

As has been said tho, that doesn't really speak to his abilities as a coach. Good luck to him.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

yeah, Horne was a key player for Glasgow who always played better when he started. Nothing to do with his exceptional skill set, so what set him apart and had that effect? Must have been that he was a huge 17st centre or a flyer who did sub 11sec 100m.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I feel like his skillset and occasional brain-farts/decision-making are being conflated a bit here. He was fantastically skilful, and often a great runner, but it was just frustrating that sometimes his application of those was off.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Still septic wrote:yeah, Horne was a key player for Glasgow who always played better when he started. Nothing to do with his exceptional skill set, so what set him apart and had that effect? Must have been that he was a huge 17st centre or a flyer who did sub 11sec 100m.
Don't know why the bee in your bonnet about this. As said above (where you seemed to agree), I think his brain set him apart. He also had good all round skills, huge bravery, and sufficient physical attributes.

All I said is that I never thought any one of his individual skills stood out as outstanding. E.g. his pass was a little floatier than the very best and his kick didn't quite have the distance. When I look at Mike Blair, by comparison, I'd say he had an outstanding pass, great cover tackle technique, and was weirdly great under a high ball. Again, none of that means Horne didn't have good skills or wasn't a great player for Glasgow and a very good one for Scotland.

You may disagree, fine. Mikey Brown does and I think sees some of what I saw as slight skill errors under pressure as occasional brainfarts.
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Cameo wrote:
Still septic wrote:yeah, Horne was a key player for Glasgow who always played better when he started. Nothing to do with his exceptional skill set, so what set him apart and had that effect? Must have been that he was a huge 17st centre or a flyer who did sub 11sec 100m.
Don't know why the bee in your bonnet about this. As said above (where you seemed to agree), I think his brain set him apart. He also had good all round skills, huge bravery, and sufficient physical attributes.

All I said is that I never thought any one of his individual skills stood out as outstanding. E.g. his pass was a little floatier than the very best and his kick didn't quite have the distance. When I look at Mike Blair, by comparison, I'd say he had an outstanding pass, great cover tackle technique, and was weirdly great under a high ball. Again, none of that means Horne didn't have good skills or wasn't a great player for Glasgow and a very good one for Scotland.

You may disagree, fine. Mikey Brown does and I think sees some of what I saw as slight skill errors under pressure as occasional brainfarts.
how much of Horne playing for Glasgow have you actually seen? As in live not Scotland on TV
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Still septic wrote:
Cameo wrote:

how much of Horne playing for Glasgow have you actually seen? As in live not Scotland on TV
Maybe three games for Glasgow live in person and a whole host for Scotland.
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Cameo wrote:
Still septic wrote:
Cameo wrote:

ok. I was talking about how key he was for Glasgow. Didn't always work for Scotland but there was a habit of picking him at or to cover 10 - not his best position.
For Glasgow he was consistently excellent. I know many who only see Scotland games will still remember a sclaffed kick to touch against Italy when he lost his footing. And forget the good stuff.

Glasgow for a few seasons had as good a combination of centres as Scotland and many many others have ever had. Horne, Dunbar and Bennet to pick from. Usually which 3 were fit or horses for courses. When Glasgow won the pro12, only one of the 3 was available for the final (and earlier). Guess who.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Still septic wrote:
Cameo wrote:
Still septic wrote:
ok. I was talking about how key he was for Glasgow. Didn't always work for Scotland but there was a habit of picking him at or to cover 10 - not his best position.
For Glasgow he was consistently excellent. I know many who only see Scotland games will still remember a sclaffed kick to touch against Italy when he lost his footing. And forget the good stuff.

Glasgow for a few seasons had as good a combination of centres as Scotland and many many others have ever had. Horne, Dunbar and Bennet to pick from. Usually which 3 were fit or horses for courses. When Glasgow won the pro12, only one of the 3 was available for the final (and earlier). Guess who.
Agreed. Great player for Glasgow and underrated one for Scotland.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Interesting move.

Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote:Interesting move.

That's cool. Seemed to stall a bit this year. Hope he gets some gametime.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Franco Smith (South African former Italy coach) is apparently at the top of the list now.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Cameo wrote:Franco Smith (South African former Italy coach) is apparently at the top of the list now.
How very uninspiring that the SRU are left having to buy Franco Smith out of his deal.