The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

septic 9

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by septic 9 »

Warriors 73 Dragons 33
Amazing in attack, shot in defence. 6 line out maul tries, 5 for Mathews, a record. His best was a 25m dash running on to a lovely pass from a player who had made a break but didn't have the pace to finish it, Mathews outsprinting Dragons backs to the line. The break and pass were by Dell.

Scored some truly great tries bt concede too many too easily. Drags at 14 mots of the game too.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Wasn't Dell just fixing and Passing?

I seem to remember that when Dell burst through the scene at Edinburgh he was a very rapid Prop.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Adder wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:42 pm Wasn't Dell just fixing and Passing?

I seem to remember that when Dell burst through the scene at Edinburgh he was a very rapid Prop.
he made the break first. Then in acres of wide open space knew he couldn't go alone, slowed for support and as you say fixed and passed - beautifully, as good as any back.
Mathews first in support hit the ball at real pace, Drags backs couldn't get to him. Amazing try
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I’d somehow missed Dell’s return completely. I remember him being surprisingly swift in the loose too.

Has Matthews got what it takes for Scotland do we think? Turner, Brown, Cherry and Stu Mac are all 30+ I think.
monkey

Post by monkey »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:20 pm I’d somehow missed Dell’s return completely. I remember him being surprisingly swift in the loose too.

Has Matthews got what it takes for Scotland do we think? Turner, Brown, Cherry and Stu Mac are all 30+ I think.
I'd be confident he could. But he will be 30 this summer.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Good to see Rhy Tait getting good reviews on loan at Doncaster.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Lovely set piece play by Glasgow.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:23 pm Lovely set piece play by Glasgow.
first try? Yeah, very good, very smart after all the maul tries last week. Second try also very good, great passing from Horne, SIone, Miotti and Jones to put Dobie clear
Otherwise played poorly. Had to make 226 tackles (Darge 29 none missed), conceded 60% possession,70% territory and another 3 tries. But won
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Darge was immense and those opening tries were great, but yeah there was some very dull play in there. Staying scoreless at the end of the first half was lauded as great defence, but it was very poor to escape that situation once and immediately put themselves back in it.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

So it is Scarlets and then Toulon or Benetton. I don't know what Toulon are like at the moment, but this is a great chance for a trophy.

I know it's only the challenge cup and I don't think it's a great tournament, but once it gets to the knockout stages it's great to still be in it and have some big matches.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:13 am So it is Scarlets and then Toulon or Benetton. I don't know what Toulon are like at the moment, but this is a great chance for a trophy.

I know it's only the challenge cup and I don't think it's a great tournament, but once it gets to the knockout stages it's great to still be in it and have some big matches.
in the SF so in with a shout. And to win it it would be terrific boost for Glasgow and Scottish Rugby. But I won't be getting ahead of myself.
Scarlets has a very poor start to the season, are now playing well and on a bit of a run; and have home advantage. They don't however have the depth Glasgow do so it could come down to who has the worst injury level
Should Glasgow get through that, probably Toulon. Sitting 6th in the T14, decent side powered by ex Glasgow lock Brian Alainu'uese and ex Edin and Scotland back row Cornel Du Preez, and current holders of this cup. They also have on their roster Parisse (still), Olivon, Villiere, Kolbe (recently injured), Dan Bigger, a couple of big fact Fijian backs and this season the incredibly impressive scrum half Serin. A top side IMHO
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Sad to see Wilson is off. He’s become a real a favourite. He clearly isn’t at the level of most of the other backrows anymore though.

Hopefully he’s off for a Japanese payday or something rather than just getting ditched.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I suspect he might be going to focus on building a media career.

Became a bit or a parody of himself at times but at his best was actually a fine international player and an even better one for Glasgow. Not the biggest but could hit lines at pace.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:01 pm I suspect he might be going to focus on building a media career.

Became a bit or a parody of himself at times but at his best was actually a fine international player and an even better one for Glasgow. Not the biggest but could hit lines at pace.
and his winding up of the opposition aside, he was a real pain to play against. Did loads of the unseen unglamorous stuff. Back in the day Toonie tombola used to apply at Warriors, but one thing never changed - big game, Wilson and Harley both started. Legends both
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

I see that Dobbie has extended his contract. Hopefully puts to bed the suggestion that he be switched to Edinburgh to get game time. Hopefully he becomes the player that we all hope and nails down the starting shirt next year.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

switchskier wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:18 pm I see that Dobbie has extended his contract. Hopefully puts to bed the suggestion that he be switched to Edinburgh to get game time. Hopefully he becomes the player that we all hope and nails down the starting shirt next year.
Yeah, still think it is an issue having all three of them there. The ideal would be for Price to move on but not as easy as that.

Was surprised to see he has got to 50 games already so it's not like they are starving him of chances, just not quite burst through and become a star yet as we (I, at least) hoped.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Cameo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:27 pm
switchskier wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:18 pm I see that Dobbie has extended his contract. Hopefully puts to bed the suggestion that he be switched to Edinburgh to get game time. Hopefully he becomes the player that we all hope and nails down the starting shirt next year.
Yeah, still think it is an issue having all three of them there. The ideal would be for Price to move on but not as easy as that.

Was surprised to see he has got to 50 games already so it's not like they are starving him of chances, just not quite burst through and become a star yet as we (I, at least) hoped.
Still only 21 though. I think that, from an Edinburgh perspective, if he can't displace Horne (a fully on form Price is another matter) then I wouldn't want him to be out starter. We should be aiming higher and seeing what the other age group kids have to offer and letting Glasgow do their development.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:36 pm
Cameo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:27 pm

Still only 21 though. I think that, from an Edinburgh perspective, if he can't displace Horne (a fully on form Price is another matter) then I wouldn't want him to be out starter. We should be aiming higher and seeing what the other age group kids have to offer and letting Glasgow do their development.
aiming higher is fine, but Dobie is already a much higher quality 9 than anyone at Edinburgh. He would be a huge improvement and take a load of game management off Kinghorn if the later is still to play 10. But I am very much of the view that he is and stays a Glasgow player and Edinburgh should sort out there own - the lack of a quality half back coming through Edinburgh ranks to established international is more than tiresome, its a scandal.
He is in the Glasgow academy but current U20s player Ben Ashfar is where Edinburgh should look ASAP. he has that something IMHO. And get rid of the two pound shop George Hornes
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Huge periods of dominance, yet lucky to get away with that one. Insane injury situation in the backs though. Is there really no back 3 cover left in the squad at all?

Great to see Darge and Cummings hit the ground running since their returns.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:41 am Huge periods of dominance, yet lucky to get away with that one. Insane injury situation in the backs though. Is there really no back 3 cover left in the squad at all?
partly no cover and partly a function of the 6/2 bench split. Think it 23 times in a row and first time caught out a bit

On back 3, from season starting with what looked like good cover and options- Cancilliere and McKay injured. McLean sacked, Fifita not rated and this week released by mutual agreement; signed Cordera short term as cover, immediately injured (made a come back for the A team is S6 Sprint on friday). Smith I think was rested as was Steyn. Miotti has played 15 previously and is ok there. They have tried Caven (Ayrshire Bulls) once, but yeah, very very short right now. Cancilliere is supposed to be back in full training so hopefully back next week when the back 3 will probably be Smith, Steynand Cancilliere - bench cover again depends on the 6/2 split so could well be Horne and Miotti
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:41 am Huge periods of dominance, yet lucky to get away with that one.
Agree. Connacht were really up for that but as in previous weeks recently Glasgow found a way to win but did not really play well enough - too many unforced errors
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

I can’t believe that they don’t have someone else who can call the line-out.

Anyway, as a Franco fan from the start, I’ll say it’s time for him to earn his corn - this match is there to be won.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Gerrinthere!
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Remarkable really. It wasn't long ago all the talk was that the rebuilding process would take years.

Gives some hope to Edinburgh fans. Players who look done can be transformed in a new environment.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Cameo wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:08 pm Remarkable really. It wasn't long ago all the talk was that the rebuilding process would take years.

Gives some hope to Edinburgh fans. Players who look done can be transformed in a new environment.
But if Edinburgh become good then Glasgow will be bad again? Is that not how this works?