Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

Banquo

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Banquo »

twitchy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:55 pm His parents were big Ian McShane fans apparently.
Lam does need to do some Tinkering...
francoisfou

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by francoisfou »

Banquo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:04 pm
twitchy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:55 pm His parents were big Ian McShane fans apparently.
Lam does need to do some Tinkering...
..and some Tailoring..
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Logo Mulipola joins Sarries on a three month injury cover deal.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:05 pm
jimKRFC wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:09 am Pat Lam rumored to be looking at Lovejoy Chawatama to replace Sinckler (if he leaves).

Can't say I know enough him to comment if that's a decent replacement...
Is he at Quins or did I imagine that? I don’t feel like I’ve seen him at all. Shows how much attention I pay to front rows I guess.
He is. We’ve mostly used him off the bench and he’s been decent. Scored a try the other week.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Rumours Exeter are looking at bringing in Will Goodrick-Clarke who's been playing at Ealing since the demise of LI ahead of next season. I can imagine he'll fit in at Exeter perfectly, he was a big unit when playing the high intensity LI game. Given Chiefs like their props big and concentrating at the set piece and how Painter looks bigger than ever could be a good match for him.

I was hopeful Tigers might take a look but I suspect that's more my desire for us to have a decent loosehead again.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Joel Kpoku, formerly of Saracens who joined Lyon in 2021, is to sign for Pau at the end of this season where he'll partner the All Black great Sam Whitelock who's just joined Pau after the World Cup.
It's said that Lyon offered him an extension to his contract but he chose to head for the foothills of the Pyrénées instead, and who can blame him as it's a beautiful part of SW France.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

More Pau-er to him.
jimKRFC

Re: New and Improved EPS Watch/Player Form Thread

Post by jimKRFC »

Bristol Evening Post says we're looking at Bill Mata from Glasgow.

As we're not short of back row, or in particular need of strength there compared to other positions (imho), I assume its agent talk to get a better deal at Glasgow or let Bradbury (who's been pretty good for us) know there are other options out there.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

jimKRFC wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:18 pm Bristol Evening Post says we're looking at Bill Mata from Glasgow.

As we're not short of back row, or in particular need of strength there compared to other positions (imho), I assume its agent talk to get a better deal at Glasgow or let Bradbury (who's been pretty good for us) know there are other options out there.
Is he fast? Electric Bills Mata
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Banquo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:20 pm
jimKRFC wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:18 pm Bristol Evening Post says we're looking at Bill Mata from Glasgow.

Is he fast? Electric Bills Mata
Big Bill Mata is at Edinburgh, not Glasgow. He was ahead of Bradbury when they were both with us and can do things that Bradbury can't. Wonderful Fijian ball in one hand things that make you wince and then gasp. I'd say he's approaching a physical decline, and we seem to be running him into the ground by playing him at every available opportunity, but not there yet. He'll be good if you get him.

Letting him go would make sense from an SRU point of view as there's young talent at Edinburgh that needs game time and we also have backrow depth (though maybe less at 8 than on the flanks).
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Jasper Weise is leaving Tigers at the end of the season. Sounds like he's going to cash in big time elsewhere. Given he's 28 I don't particularly blame him for taking a big contract in his prime years. Massive blow for Tigers, he's topped the carries charts in every round of the Prem he's played in this season. Relentless, explosive and physical is a tough mix to find.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

He’s short though. So he can’t be that good.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:11 pm He’s short though. So he can’t be that good.
Weise? He's 6ft3. Wouldn't be calling him short.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

FKAS wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:11 am
Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:11 pm He’s short though. So he can’t be that good.
Hmm. That's what google says but I don't believe it at all.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:44 am
FKAS wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:11 am
Hmm. That's what google says but I don't believe it at all.
Tiny arms.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

He has a somewhat scuttling running style where he never seems to run upright. I think that does make him seem shorter than he is. Being as stocky as he is the height looks in proportion overall as well.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:57 am He has a somewhat scuttling running style where he never seems to run upright. I think that does make him seem shorter than he is. Being as stocky as he is the height looks in proportion overall as well.
It was a reference to a joke about the heights of England back rowers that was happening in the EPS thread, rather than a serious comment about Shortie Wiese and his tiny little T-Rex arms.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:59 am
FKAS wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:57 am He has a somewhat scuttling running style where he never seems to run upright. I think that does make him seem shorter than he is. Being as stocky as he is the height looks in proportion overall as well.
It was a reference to a joke about the heights of England back rowers that was happening in the EPS thread, rather than a serious comment about Shortie Wiese and his tiny little T-Rex arms.

Puja
I know I wouldn't tell him he had a scuttling run to his face.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:12 am Image
Welp, now we know what the future response is if South Africa lose a hooker to injury again.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah I guess it's moving like a crab and the diddy little arms that tricked me. Just found a picture of him singing the anthems stood next to PSDT and all the locks. He looks about the same height as Pollard/De Allende who are about 6'2". I had him down as more Sam Simmonds sized, just with a freakish amount of power/aggression.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:23 am Yeah I guess it's moving like a crab and the diddy little arms that tricked me. Just found a picture of him singing the anthems stood next to PSDT and all the locks. He looks about the same height as Pollard/De Allende who are about 6'2". I had him down as more Sam Simmonds sized, just with a freakish amount of power/aggression.
He's big but not the biggest. As you say, very good at throwing his weight around and making the most of the size he has. That unfortunately doesn't seem to be a very English trait sadly. I'm hoping the likes of Martin and Ilione have watched Wiese in training and are learning to channel their inner fury similarly.

Having said all that if I was the Tigers head of recruitment I think my first port of call would be the Drua to see if Derenalagi fancies moving North.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:34 am Having said all that if I was the Tigers head of recruitment I think my first port of call would be the Drua to see if Derenalagi fancies moving North.
Wasn't familiar with him, but a google immediately led me to this which endeared him to me. The KADAB's poor, but what a technically perfect glorious tackle!

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

He's only 24. Went to the World Cup with Fiji, former 7s player. Great skills, big lad. Can play across the backrow but seems to be playing more at 8 as time goes on.

Puja

Post by Puja »

Spotted this in an article about something else:
Mike Catt to depart

Farrell will be searching for his next attack coach, however, with the IRFU also confirming that Mike Catt will be departing his role midway through 2024.

Catt will continue for the remainder of this season, which takes in the Six Nations and the tour to South Africa, but will leave for pastures new after that.

According to reports earlier in the year, the 52-year-old is relocating his family to England.
Probably not to the national team given we've just picked FJones, but there's a few Prem clubs that could use him, Leicester not least amongst them.

Puja
Backist Monk