Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

FKAS

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by FKAS »

Esterhuizen is under contract and Quins are apparently demanding £500k for an early release. That's not pocket change. Sharks were trying to negotiate it down so perhaps Quins will ask for a player to be released in the other direction as part of the deal, who knows. If not a chunk of change could help that move for Lawrence that's also been rumoured.

Trevor Nykane also heading to the Sharks after being told his contract in Paris wouldn't be renewed.
Mikey Brown

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Mikey Brown »

That's going to be a tough one.

I thought Hyde was meant to be a prospect but not really seen anything from him in a while. Anyanwu still has a lot of promise but looked a little green last time he got a run, and doesn't offer the same kind of carrying power.

Nyakane being ditched is an odd one. Maybe Racing want to get rid of that waste of space Fickou as well. I guess Quins could take him.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

According to the following article in this morning’s Rugbyrama, a few Top14 clubs would like Zach Mercer to return to France, Racing92 for one, although their wage bill with the likes of Kolisi and Farrell on their books, he may be more than they could afford. The article suggests that Toulon are another club who could be interested or even a return to Montpellier, who’d probably welcome him back with open arms. He’s unlikely to win much with Gloucester (PR Cup, maybe) and as Screw Ball doesn’t want him, he’d be mad not to go! www.rugbyrama.fr/2024/02/19/transferts- ... 773669.php
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Not remotely surprising TBH.
Nice pay, nice weather, nice lifestlye and nice to be appreciated.

Alternatively, he could try NZ - where I imagine they'd also welcome him with open arms, and he'd be fairly likely to get capped. IIRC his Scottish connection was purely residential, so that would be his only alternative route into international rugby.
If it happened, I suspect he'd delight in rubbish Blood Soaked's nose in it!

France is, of course, the most likely.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:53 am That's going to be a tough one.

I thought Hyde was meant to be a prospect but not really seen anything from him in a while. Anyanwu still has a lot of promise but looked a little green last time he got a run, and doesn't offer the same kind of carrying power.

Nyakane being ditched is an odd one. Maybe Racing want to get rid of that waste of space Fickou as well. I guess Quins could take him.
Hyde looked great at age grade level. Shame he hasn't kicked on.

Nyakane will be 35 by the end of the season so it could be that they didn't want to invest significant funds into a player with that age profile.

Fickou, waste of space? Really? He's a classy operator who's perhaps not in his best form but still a leader in both club and country squads.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Sorry that was just a dumb reference to the chat about him being out of form. Totally agree he's absolute class and Quins would be blessed to get a replacement of that quality.

For some bizarre reason I also had it in my head Nyakane was mid 20s. Must be that winning smile.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Steve Boden the Donny DOR leaves to take up an opportunity elsewhere. He's done well there but has been vocal about his dislike of how the RFU have handled the Championship. Joe Ford likely to get his job.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:07 pm Steve Boden the Donny DOR leaves to take up an opportunity elsewhere. He's done well there but has been vocal about his dislike of how the RFU have handled the Championship. Joe Ford likely to get his job.
Steve Boden was pushed.
Last edited by Banquo on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slater582

Post by Slater582 »

6'11" Rob Carmichael leaving Leicester for Edinburgh. Father is Scottish.
Puja

Post by Puja »

I mentioned on the SMB that it's going to be very hard for young second row talent at Leicester, with Martin, OChessum, LChessum, and Carnduff all coming through, so I don't blame him for looking elsewhere. Feels a bit of a shame to lose the world's tallest current professional rugby player to the Scots, but hope he does well and enjoys himself.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:24 pm I mentioned on the SMB that it's going to be very hard for young second row talent at Leicester, with Martin, OChessum, LChessum, and Carnduff all coming through, so I don't blame him for looking elsewhere. Feels a bit of a shame to lose the world's tallest current professional rugby player to the Scots, but hope he does well and enjoys himself.

Puja
My thoughts as well. Add in Henderson to that list of young locks as well.

Carmichael has been playing for Notts Uni this season he hasn't pushed into selection for any of our bigger feeder clubs which probably tells us where he's at currently.

Carnduff looking entirely comfortable at senior level already as being able to play 6 as well as lock makes it doubly difficult I suspect.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Cobus Weise joining the Bulls from Sale for next season. Le Roux Roets to join Sale from the Sharks as replacement. Hyron Andrews joins on a short term loan as injury cover for Johnny Hill.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Dowson and Vesty have extended at Saints, which I'm very happy about
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

I’ve just read in MIdi Olympique that former Chiefs scrum half, Jack Maunder, has verbally agreed to a two-year deal with Agen, who are currently 11th in ProD2. He had signed for Melbourne Rebels but hasn’t played as the club has been placed in administration.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Maunder has been named to start for Rebels this weekend. I suspect there will be a bit of a run on Rebels players though as rumours are there's nowt in the bank. Several staff including the CEO have been made redundant.
jimKRFC

Post by jimKRFC »

Ibitoye signs a new "long term", I assume 3 years, deal at Bristol. Have to say he's been pretty bloody good so far!
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Rumours Slade has signed a new deal at Exeter as well.
jimKRFC

Post by jimKRFC »

Kofi Cripps, ex-Wasps and England U20 (2022), signs for Bristol.

With Bill Mata coming, and now another back row, I suspect we'll see a few depart soon. Bradbury, Heennan and Thomas seem most likely. Luatua as an outside bet...
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Cripps was a fairly handy openside wasn't he? Might not be Prem ready immediately so you might not see him replace a senior backrow.

Mata seems to be a replacement for Bradbury given the rumours of him returning to Scotland.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Lawes to Brive now confirmed. Very disappointing
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Somewhat a changing of the guard in the Saints pack.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Yep - Lawes, Ludlam and Moon all to France next season plus Ribbans last. Thankfully we're still pretty well stocked in the back row even with Lawes and Ludlam gone, and with prospects like Pollock and Logan to come through.

Feels like it highlights the shit state of the Premiership that a player like Lawes ends up playing in the French second division rather than stay at his home town club who are playing their best rugby for years.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Lawes is losing nearly £200k a season by not playing for England. It's his last chance to use playing as a way to exploring a new culture. Nicer weather, possibly more money (certainly not less), a new challenge and some good food and drink in the mix as well.

It's not been unusual for older pros to head to France for a few years towards the end of their careers. It's the blokes going from Prem first teams in their twenties like Moon and Ludlam that's a surprise.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Fissler reporting that

Will Addison -> Sale Sharks
Rory Hutchinson -> Bayonne
Jack Maunder -> Agen
Ciaran Knight -> Quins
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

FKAS wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:41 pm Fissler reporting that

Rory Hutchinson -> Bayonne
FFS