Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

FKAS

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by FKAS »

francoisfou wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:24 am
FKAS wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:57 am
Which Tyler wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:50 am

Huge catering bill?
Montpellier are having a miserable season. Could be they want to change up the squad in a big way in the off season. Adding substantially to their catering bill is an interesting move.
True, although they’re now out of the relegation zone but for a club that were Champions a couple of seasons ago it’s a chastening experience, so maybe significant changes to the club’s catering will bring about a change in fortunes?
Joking aside BillyV is no longer a viable international option but at club level is still half decent. He's still got a higher work rate than most 8s his size even if he's lost the explosive element to his ball carrying.
Banquo

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:41 am
francoisfou wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:24 am
FKAS wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:57 am

Montpellier are having a miserable season. Could be they want to change up the squad in a big way in the off season. Adding substantially to their catering bill is an interesting move.
True, although they’re now out of the relegation zone but for a club that were Champions a couple of seasons ago it’s a chastening experience, so maybe significant changes to the club’s catering will bring about a change in fortunes?
Joking aside BillyV is no longer a viable international option but at club level is still half decent. He's still got a higher work rate than most 8s his size even if he's lost the explosive element to his ball carrying.
also still pretty skilful.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

I find it hard to weep about PRL and their clubs.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Will almost certainly fly under the radar, but Monty Bradbury has retired from rugby after a knee injury picked up last summer. Got picked up by Gloucester after LI's collapse, but never played due to the injury.

Saw a lot of him playing schoolboy and age grade rugby and it's a real shame. May not have made it anyway as I don't think he'd ever have been an elite goal kicker, but he had the best pass off both hands I can remember seeing from a young ten.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Margin_Walker wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:01 pm Will almost certainly fly under the radar, but Monty Bradbury has retired from rugby after a knee injury picked up last summer. Got picked up by Gloucester after LI's collapse, but never played due to the injury.

Saw a lot of him playing schoolboy and age grade rugby and it's a real shame. May not have made it anyway as I don't think he'd ever have been an elite goal kicker, but he had the best pass off both hands I can remember seeing from a young ten.
Poor sod. He looked decent for the U20s IIRC. No kinda age to be forced to retire from the game.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Sam Carter leaves Tigers to head back home to Australia with the Western Force.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:37 am Sam Carter leaves Tigers to head back home to Australia with the Western Force.
Not disappointed - I know we've had our lock reserves stressed with internationals and injuries this season, but I struggle to think of a game where he's played where I wouldn't've been happier seeing Carnduff or LChessum get the game-time instead, or moved Hatherell up and played Ilione. We could've coped without him on the pitch. Hopefully he has imparted some useful wisdom to the youngsters, at least.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:56 am
FKAS wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:37 am Sam Carter leaves Tigers to head back home to Australia with the Western Force.
Not disappointed - I know we've had our lock reserves stressed with internationals and injuries this season, but I struggle to think of a game where he's played where I wouldn't've been happier seeing Carnduff or LChessum get the game-time instead, or moved Hatherell up and played Ilione. We could've coped without him on the pitch. Hopefully he has imparted some useful wisdom to the youngsters, at least.

Puja
He was useful for the world cup period. Now there's no real use for him to be here and he wasn't going to get a contract for next season. There is a question over whether we have enough cover for next season. Chessum Jnr and Carnduff supporting Martin, Chessum Snr, Henderson and Wells looks good on paper but three of those could well be in international squads and need rest periods. Only one or two injuries/suspensions from looking a bit short and shoving Hatherall into the row. Rogerson could maybe do a job there as well but I think he's unlikely to be retained.

A big hard carrying lock/6 to replace Rogerson/Carter would be good. Be one less body over all so opportunity for the development guys to step up.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

A couple of rumours I haven’t seen posted here:

Fergus Burke - Crusaders >> Saracens
Paul Hill - Saints >> Edinburgh
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Is Paul Hill also SQ?

Fergus Burke would be an interesting signing for Sarries. He's SQ so moving to the Prem could then open up the possibility of him being selected for Scotland. He's been out for a while with an achilles injury so you'd hope they've done a pretty comprehensive medical. Be another blow to the Crusaders who were planning on Burke being the successor to Mo'unga but he's been injured so far this season and now could be leaving them with the youngsters that have floundered so far.
Puja

Post by Puja »

A crying shame if Paul Hill is SQ and leaves us - he'd be free to transfer to a new nation from July this year, although I can't find any reference to him being anything but English and German qualified. He should have been our first choice tighthead for years and years now, but just never kicked on. Feels like a wasted talent.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:24 pm A crying shame if Paul Hill is SQ and leaves us - he'd be free to transfer to a new nation from July this year, although I can't find any reference to him being anything but English and German qualified. He should have been our first choice tighthead for years and years now, but just never kicked on. Feels like a wasted talent.

Puja
down to him TBH
Puja

Post by Puja »

I'd actually love it if he went to play for Germany. He'd be a huge boost for their team and I'd have no problem with that compared to Scotland scavenging for players.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I don’t want Scotland to have him either. He’s a twat.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:08 pm I don’t want Scotland to have him either. He’s a twat.
Paul Hill?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Banquo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:05 pm
Puja wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:24 pm A crying shame if Paul Hill is SQ and leaves us - he'd be free to transfer to a new nation from July this year, although I can't find any reference to him being anything but English and German qualified. He should have been our first choice tighthead for years and years now, but just never kicked on. Feels like a wasted talent.

Puja
down to him TBH
True, although I do feel that he was in the generation of props that were most impacted by England’s indecision re. what we wanted from our front row players. Hill focused on the mobile route when he might have been better served focusing on set piece technique.

It’s pretty mad that we hardly have any test standard props in the 25-30 range. We could really do with a few of them emerging as late bloomers.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:08 pm I don’t want Scotland to have him either. He’s a twat.
Really? What's he done?

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Oh you know, he was being a nob in a way I can’t remember at some unspecified time in the past. I sure do like to hold a grudge though.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Well this is all I could find.
Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:47 pm Paul Hill might be my new least favourite player in the league.
Maybe I’ll rewatch big game 2021 and see if I can get angry about it (whatever it was) all over again.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Didn't think Deano would stay away from the game as long as he did:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/dean-ric ... anagement/
Puja

Post by Puja »

francoisfou wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:46 pm Didn't think Deano would stay away from the game as long as he did:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/dean-ric ... anagement/
Sounds like he still is really - local clubman with children at the club gets dragooned into coaching role, rather than something worthy of rugbypass's attention.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Worthy of rugbypass's attention?
With rugbypass's reputation?
They've yet to find a click bait they didn't like