Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

Yorkie

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Yorkie »

I see Billy Twelvetrees has retired, aged 35. He could have waited until his next birthday in November!
FKAS

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by FKAS »

Yorkie wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:17 pm I see Billy Twelvetrees has retired, aged 35. He could have waited until his next birthday in November!
Very good.
jimKRFC

Post by jimKRFC »

Puja wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:34 pm
jimKRFC wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:14 pm Andrew Turner, lhp, gets a season on loan to Doncaster from Bristol. Hopefully he comes on like James Dunn did during his loan.
Isn't that the one that played for the Crusaders?

Puja
That's the one!
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Adam_P wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:05 pm Another lock added to the stocks - Callum Hunter-Hill signs for Saints from Saracens
If he can stay fit that’s a really good signing for Saints I reckon. Second rows of the ‘consistently moves bodies’ variety who are borderline test quality are worth their weight in gold. Just the knee injuries need avoiding.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Adam_P wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:05 pm Another lock added to the stocks - Callum Hunter-Hill signs for Saints from Saracens
we've just nabbed Kayde Silvester....if he can stay fit, a great (re) addition.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:37 am
OB and played on loan at The Finishing School - you might as well make him captain and player of the season now.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:29 pm
Banquo wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:37 am
OB and played on loan at The Finishing School - you might as well make him captain and player of the season now.
ex Cambridge M and Y so also semi home grown. Now if Dingers would do the decent thing...
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Dave Walder leaves Bristol with immediate effect and is replaced internally.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:15 am Dave Walder leaves Bristol with immediate effect and is replaced internally.
:shock: That's startling. Presumably he has a job elsewhere lined up - England are looking and I know he's rated there. Have Ireland replaced Catt yet?

Puja
Backist Monk
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Saints CEO, Mark Darbon, is off to run St Andrews Golf club from November this year. One of the best bits of recruitment the club has done in recent memory, he'll be missed.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:38 am
FKAS wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:15 am Dave Walder leaves Bristol with immediate effect and is replaced internally.
:shock: That's startling. Presumably he has a job elsewhere lined up - England are looking and I know he's rated there. Have Ireland replaced Catt yet?

Puja
Leinster assistant coach Andrew Goodman will replace Mike Catt.

What are England looking for? I thought Borthwick had pretty much used up his allocated budget and hence why they were unsure about being able to find a consultant position for Sinfield.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Adam_P wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:10 pm Saints CEO, Mark Darbon, is off to run St Andrews Golf club from November this year. One of the best bits of recruitment the club has done in recent memory, he'll be missed.
Interesting- may be fed up of continual financial pressures.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Banquo wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:39 pm
Adam_P wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:10 pm Saints CEO, Mark Darbon, is off to run St Andrews Golf club from November this year. One of the best bits of recruitment the club has done in recent memory, he'll be missed.
Interesting- may be fed up of continual financial pressures.
He’s certainly eased his own financial pressures, as reports suggest he’ll be doubling his wage.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:13 pm

Puja

What are England looking for? I thought Borthwick had pretty much used up his allocated budget and hence why they were unsure about being able to find a consultant position for Sinfield.
I had thought that we were still looking for an attack coach to work alongside Wiggy and that he was originally supposed to be just skills coach, but is covering attack until their man was available at the end of the summer. Whether that's still the case, I'm not sure. I wouldn't be against us having an experienced head to run our attack - as I mentioned on the m-b-ms a few times, we all owe an apology or two to Wigglesworth for rude comments we may have made about his attack coaching skills, but we're still awfully reliant on his absolute favourite simple attacking play. It's effective, and there is something to be said for doing simple moves excellently, but I wouldn't hate us having a few extra strings to our bow.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:29 pm
FKAS wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:13 pm

Puja

I had thought that we were still looking for an attack coach to work alongside Wiggy and that he was originally supposed to be just skills coach, but is covering attack until their man was available at the end of the summer. Whether that's still the case, I'm not sure. I wouldn't be against us having an experienced head to run our attack - as I mentioned on the m-b-ms a few times, we all owe an apology or two to Wigglesworth for rude comments we may have made about his attack coaching skills, but we're still awfully reliant on his absolute favourite simple attacking play. It's effective, and there is something to be said for doing simple moves excellently, but I wouldn't hate us having a few extra strings to our bow.

Puja
I assumed we'd bring an attack coach in previously but with how the Wigglesworth attack is working currently I think he's done enough to retain the job. Especially as there's suggestions that the RFU don't want to spend much more on the men's coaching staff.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Strawbridge seems like he’s made an impact & he has a very good reputation with things like coaching breakdown and attacking skills fundamentals. A real positive that his deal was made permanent.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mako Vunipola confirmed as going to Vannes. Good luck to him - obviously fans soured on him as he got older and his loose play didn't make up for the scrummaging so much anymore, but at his peak, he was really something special. Was watching highlights of the 2019 RWC semi-final earlier and he put in a massive performance there - there really wasn't anyone like him.

Good servant to English rugby and hope he's getting rich off Vannes.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Vannes-ity move.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:46 pm Vannes-ity move.
Hopefully the club won't be cursing after buying him - would be a Vannes Damn moment.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Vannes dals
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Hope he doesn't Vannes-ish on the pitch.