EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

fivepointer

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by fivepointer »

Clifford has looked very good at times and is obviously a talent. Dare I say that I think he might be a bit like Tom Wood. Perfectly respectable player but maybe just lacking that extra something?

We’ll see. He’s young and getting regular games in his favoured position will surely help.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

fivepointer wrote:Clifford has looked very good at times and is obviously a talent. Dare I say that I think he might be a bit like Tom Wood. Perfectly respectable player but maybe just lacking that extra something?

We’ll see. He’s young and getting regular games in his favoured position will surely help.
Odd. I would have thought he is made up mostly of 'extra something' at the moment. You'd have a great player between the two of them.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote:
fivepointer wrote:Clifford has looked very good at times and is obviously a talent. Dare I say that I think he might be a bit like Tom Wood. Perfectly respectable player but maybe just lacking that extra something?

Odd. I would have thought he is made up mostly of 'extra something' at the moment. You'd have a great player between the two of them.
Agreed. For me, he's good at the highlights reel stuff but sometimes goes missing in the nuts and bolts areas of the game.
It seems he's gone back to no.8 after a couple of seasons of being a utility player. So, he'll hopefully learn the nuts and bolts of the role as he gains experience. He's still a young lad and one that hasn't had a senior season in a settled position. Also, at his age, I'd rather he was weaker in the basic requirements of the game rather than missing the natural weapons he has. You can teach/coach the nuts and bolts, but you can't teach/coach a natural ability.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Aye. That's the optimistic outlook on it. It's real rugby-nerd stuff I know, but watching his control at the back of the scrum is something I'm looking forward to this season.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Control and link play in the forwards is becoming more and more important as the game develops and there is more continuity and less set piece.
'..... he seems to be made up of 'extra something' '. Quality.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Launchbury put in a big shift today. Powerful and showing that agility that he shouldn't have given the size of him.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Yep, Joe stood out today. A really solid all round performance.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Always good to hear Joe is doing well. Both immense and immensely likable.

Again managed to see 0 minutes of rugby today. I think Bath being good was very good for England, are they back or was that just an awful Newcastle performance?
Last edited by Mikey Brown on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Pleased for Sam Jones, he's getting a chance to put in some solid performances without injury at last.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:Always good to hear Joe is doing well. Both immense and immensely likable.

Again managed to see 0 minutes of rugby today. I think Bath being good was very good for England, are they back or was that just an awful Newcastle performance?
The extended highlights programme seemed to show a very promising Bath performance. Roko, Ford and Joseph all had some very nice moments.

Interesting to see Ford's into his drop-kicks this year, with 3 from 3 attempts in the first two matches. That's an area where The Iceman seems weak and I wonder whether Ford has targetted that as an area to focus on for that reason.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I think I mentioned this elsewhere on the thread, but there were only 4 drop goals in the whole AP season last year (scored by four different players). Nuts when you think Ford has 3 by round 2 ...

Like Mikey Brown, I haven't seen the game, but from what I can gather Ford put in another very good performance.

I think he's very much a confidence player. He was in decent form for England over the summer so I don't think all of the credit goes to Blackadder, but it seems that he is really backing him to go out and play. Good for Bath and good for England.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Dean Richards reckoned Ford was far and away the best player on the pitch yesterday giving a complete all round performance. Some praise from an opposition coach.

Think the coaching changes at Bath have helped. Blackadder has been very positive about him from the outset.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I'm also hoping that he gets the chance to show that his kicking is good enough that we don't 100% need Farrell in the side.

Right now, I don't think we have a better alternative than the Ford/Farrell axis, but I do worry that if Farrell does all the kicking all the time, it creates an unnecessary pressure situation for Ford if Farrell is ever injured/unavailable.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Bath:
Charlie Ewels - Went very well playing out of position at 6. 12/12 tackles; 3 carries for 18m

George Ford - Immaculate control of the game, fantastic kicking game from hand. Kicked 7/11 and a drop goal; 6/6 tackles; 2 carries for 11m
Jonathan Joseph - Best defensive centre in England? did plenty in attack, but stopped anything that came anywhere near him in defence; organised well with a variety of partners, from an inexperienced Clark, and out-of-position Banahan, and out-of-position Priestland, and a very out-of-position Mercer. 4/5 tackles; 9 carries for 57m
Semesa Rokoduguni - Brace of tries; and everywhere - how has he not been a fixture for England for the last 24 months? 6/8 tackles; 13 carries for 143m
Anthony Watson - DTP, injured

Fringe: Attwood; earned MotM; and genuinely did earn it too; toss up between him and Ford IMO
Last edited by Which Tyler on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hucks

Post by Hucks »

Wasps wise, 2 games in:

Robson had an absolute stormer vs Chiefs and has carried on where he left off last season and in the Saxons summer. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't at least finish the AIs on the bench for England.

Launchbury - off to a flier so far. No one is getting past itoje any time soon and kruis would have to really lose form, or launch really do something incredible I think to break that partnership but can't see anyone getting past launch for the bench spot.

Mullan - as always doing lots of good stuff but he's always going to be picking up caps when others aren't fit I think now.

Hughes - as others have said he's been worryingly quiet for a while now. Faded away last season and so far this year he's been pretty quiet. Right now he's not the best number 8 at wasps which is a concern. Billy went through something similar about 18 months ago where his raw power got worked out and he moved his game on. Nathan has this season to do likewise and let's not forget the guy only started playing rugby at about 17 (he was a hockey boy of all things!) so like Chris Latham, he's a very late developer Who is making up ground extremely fast. Right now though I only see him figuring in the AIs due to the absence of the Hask and a lack of viable alternatives as no one is really putting their hand up for the back row in my view outside Billy and robshaw.

Daly - has started very brightly. Seems to have developed a passing game from somewhere, cutting good lines, absolutely smashing the receivers off kick offs forcing great wasps turnovers. Missed one of his boomer kicks v tigers but by inches and it looked like it had another 10 metres in length. Probably needs 2 or 3 outrageous try-scoring games to push past JJ but I'd like to think he is becoming our most viable utility back bench option.

Non eps dark horses:

TT has started his wasps career like a man on a mission. One to watch.

Sam Jones - done some very good Worsley like stuff to build on his Saxons tour but in reality I don't think he's going to be troubling the eps any time soon.

Guy Thompson - for me only injury prevented him being the don Armand type wild card in the Saxons in SA. He's picked up where he left off before injury last year when he was doninating Toulon away. He's been rampaging, destructive, scoring tries, popping out the tackle to create space for others, hitting everything that moves, nuisance at the breakdown....right now with the relative dearth of outstanding international back rows in England he'd have to be worth a look.

Cips - he's going to have to step up fast to make up any ground. Good news for him is slade hasn't started well either. But burns is showing lots of lovely touches as has lozowski and cips isn't rising above the crop so far. Given who he is he's always going to have to do more than others to persuade a coach and he's nowhere near that yet.

From the other games I've seen so far - te'o certainly looks a more viable 12 prospect than Burrell ever was. That Perry Humphreys lad at wuss is worth keeping an eye on too. Ben spencer might be the man to push Robson and take on the status quo at 9.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Watching the Wasps Tigers game now.

Watching Ford, and then watching Cipriani, there can be no debate about who the England 10 is. Cipriani's passes either hit their man bang on, or got nowhere near. 3 poor passes in the first 16 minutes. I can't remember a single one from Ford.

Likewise, when it comes to the l/o, you can see why it's Hartley and George. Both l/os a bit scrappy from Taylor and Youngs.

On this form, I have to say that Gopperth's move to 12 is an absolute masterstroke.
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

Let's just poach this kid
Stom

Post by Stom »

TheNomad wrote:

Exhibit A for weight limits rather than age limits in youth rugby.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Stom wrote:
TheNomad wrote:

Exhibit A for weight limits rather than age limits in youth rugby.
My thoughts entirely
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

Yup
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

'Twas my first reaction too.
Peej

Post by Peej »

Or just teach kids how to tackle.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Hucks wrote:Wasps wise, 2 games in:

Robson had an absolute stormer vs Chiefs and has carried on where he left off last season and in the Saxons summer. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't at least finish the AIs on the bench for England.

Launchbury - off to a flier so far. No one is getting past itoje any time soon and kruis would have to really lose form, or launch really do something incredible I think to break that partnership but can't see anyone getting past launch for the bench spot.

Mullan - as always doing lots of good stuff but he's always going to be picking up caps when others aren't fit I think now.

Hughes - as others have said he's been worryingly quiet for a while now. Faded away last season and so far this year he's been pretty quiet. Right now he's not the best number 8 at wasps which is a concern. Billy went through something similar about 18 months ago where his raw power got worked out and he moved his game on. Nathan has this season to do likewise and let's not forget the guy only started playing rugby at about 17 (he was a hockey boy of all things!) so like Chris Latham, he's a very late developer Who is making up ground extremely fast. Right now though I only see him figuring in the AIs due to the absence of the Hask and a lack of viable alternatives as no one is really putting their hand up for the back row in my view outside Billy and robshaw.

Daly - has started very brightly. Seems to have developed a passing game from somewhere, cutting good lines, absolutely smashing the receivers off kick offs forcing great wasps turnovers. Missed one of his boomer kicks v tigers but by inches and it looked like it had another 10 metres in length. Probably needs 2 or 3 outrageous try-scoring games to push past JJ but I'd like to think he is becoming our most viable utility back bench option.

Non eps dark horses:

Sam Jones - done some very good Worsley like stuff to build on his Saxons tour but in reality I don't think he's going to be troubling the eps any time soon.

Guy Thompson - for me only injury prevented him being the don Armand type wild card in the Saxons in SA. He's picked up where he left off before injury last year when he was doninating Toulon away. He's been rampaging, destructive, scoring tries, popping out the tackle to create space for others, hitting everything that moves, nuisance at the breakdown....right now with the relative dearth of outstanding international back rows in England he'd have to be worth a look.

Cips - he's going to have to step up fast to make up any ground. Good news for him is slade hasn't started well either. But burns is showing lots of lovely touches as has lozowski and cips isn't rising above the crop so far. Given who he is he's always going to have to do more than others to persuade a coach and he's nowhere near that yet.

From the other games I've seen so far - te'o certainly looks a more viable 12 prospect than Burrell ever was. That Perry Humphreys lad at wuss is worth keeping an eye on too. Ben spencer might be the man to push Robson and take on the status quo at 9.
Still think that Daly has the capacity to be a very good 12. All round footballer, playmaker, gas to burn,strong defence and long range goal kicker. I like the notion of getting your best players on the field and think that a midfield triangle of Ford/Daly/Joseph could be quite a handful. Three players with oodles of natural talent and speed. If Farrell can be shoehorned into 12 then why not Daly, who looks to have the attributes to do even better. We won't know unless it gets tried.

Slightly OTT, Wasps Jimmy Goppheth has been a bit of a revelation at 12 outside Cips. The old fella is runnig about with a new level of speed and enthusiasm that belies his years, making breaks, turning defenders inside out, scoring tries, setting up tries with clever chips, and laying out a few big hits when needs be. Fair play to him. You begin tto see wht Madigan had problems in displacing him in 10 shirt at Leinster.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Spiffy wrote:
Hucks wrote:Wasps wise, 2 games in:

Non eps dark horses:

Still think that Daly has the capacity to be a very good 12. All round footballer, playmaker, gas to burn,strong defence and long range goal kicker. I like the notion of getting your best players on the field and think that a midfield triangle of Ford/Daly/Joseph could be quite a handful. Three players with oodles of natural talent and speed. If Farrell can be shoehorned into 12 then why not Daly, who looks to have the attributes to do even better. We won't know unless it gets tried.

Slightly OTT, Wasps Jimmy Goppheth has been a bit of a revelation at 12 outside Cips. The old fella is runnig about with a new level of speed and enthusiasm that belies his years, making breaks, turning defenders inside out, scoring tries, setting up tries with clever chips, and laying out a few big hits when needs be and kicking the goals. Fair play to him. You begin tto see wht Madigan had problems in displacing him in 10 shirt at Leinster.