Moderator: OptimisticJock

OptimisticJock

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by OptimisticJock »

Brilliant from price
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Matthew Morgan is a good cover tackler. I thought defence was seen as his weakness
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Bonus would get Glasgow into 4th I think
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

I'm surprised Price didn't go for that try, loads of space to plop over.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Cameo wrote:Matthew Morgan is a good cover tackler. I thought defence was seen as his weakness
Just his size. He's a great wee player.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Well played. Thought Cardiff defended that one well too
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Bring off some of the big names now?
Chunks Baws

Post by Chunks Baws »

Only just noticed Sam 'Lions Captain' Warburton is playing.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Yeah, you wouldnt have known.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Warburton never bothers playing for Cardif, he gets a shirt but doesn't do a lot in it.

Toonie seems ok with Russell trying these things as they seem to accept that sometimes they don't work and sometimes they do, I like that Toonie gives his players the freedom to try these things
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Five points, Rae, nobody left on a stretcher, east stand ripping the piss out of the Cardiff subs.
The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

hp18 wrote:Five points, Rae, nobody left on a stretcher, east stand ripping the piss out of the Cardiff subs.
I know it could still all go wrong but any scope for increasing the capacity at Scotstoun at some point? You'd think selling out 10,000 regularly might be a reasonable aim
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Weird sort of game. Felt that Glasgow didn't actually play that well but they still dominated and won comfortably. Russell didn't have a good game and it seems that when he goes well everything clicks into place. The chip kicks are becoming too frequent but I'd still rather have the swagger and fun element than not.

Also think that Glasgow benefit from having a threat at 9 again. They've missed it since matawalu moved on.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Cameo wrote:
hp18 wrote:Five points, Rae, nobody left on a stretcher, east stand ripping the piss out of the Cardiff subs.
I know it could still all go wrong but any scope for increasing the capacity at Scotstoun at some point? You'd think selling out 10,000 regularly might be a reasonable aim
Would require the rebuilding of the north stand. Bigger temps can be used but only for certain periods.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Decent win. Some of the set piece moves off 9 and 10 were pretty slick.

Think the scoreline flattered Cardiff a bit as Glasgow let them back in with a few errors.

Few thoughts

Dan McFarland is beginning to get the pack rocking and rolling. Maul was effective. Think he'll be a step up on Humphreys for Scotland. Of course the corollary is true for Glasgow next year

Glad to see Ashe back. He's better at getting over the gainline than 2016/17 version of Strauss

And finally quite astonishing to think that the team containing three lions was wearing pink and black.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

ARM wrote:Decent win. Some of the set piece moves off 9 and 10 were pretty slick.

Think the scoreline flattered Cardiff a bit as Glasgow let them back in with a few errors.

Few thoughts

Dan McFarland is beginning to get the pack rocking and rolling. Maul was effective. Think he'll be a step up on Humphreys for Scotland. Of course the corollary is true for Glasgow next year

Glad to see Ashe back. He's better at getting over the gainline than 2016/17 version of Strauss

And finally quite astonishing to think that the team containing three lions was wearing pink and black.
This. Glasgow are streamrollering packs they struggled with last season. Especially in the scrum. Lineout needs a bit more work but the improvement is astronomical.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

switchskier wrote:Weird sort of game. Felt that Glasgow didn't actually play that well but they still dominated and won comfortably. Russell didn't have a good game and it seems that when he goes well everything clicks into place. The chip kicks are becoming too frequent but I'd still rather have the swagger and fun element than not.

Also think that Glasgow benefit from having a threat at 9 again. They've missed it since matawalu moved on.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Finn's execution of the chip kicks 99 times out of 100. The decision making on when to try them is mind-boggling at times though. I don't want him to stem his creativity at all but trying to do a wee chip to Seymour in your own 22 in the pissing rain, 10-0 up on the verge of half time is the wrong decision every time. Nobody does that. There is never a good reason to do that in those circumstances. You boot it into the stands. This one was a real clanger IMO that will get glossed over because of the 5 pointer. Munster will make the weeg pay for silly things like that.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
switchskier wrote:Weird sort of game. Felt that Glasgow didn't actually play that well but they still dominated and won comfortably. Russell didn't have a good game and it seems that when he goes well everything clicks into place. The chip kicks are becoming too frequent but I'd still rather have the swagger and fun element than not.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Finn's execution of the chip kicks 99 times out of 100. The decision making on when to try them is mind-boggling at times though. I don't want him to stem his creativity at all but trying to do a wee chip to Seymour in your own 22 in the pissing rain, 10-0 up on the verge of half time is the wrong decision every time. Nobody does that. There is never a good reason to do that in those circumstances. You boot it into the stands. This one was a real clanger IMO that will get glossed over because of the 5 pointer. Munster will make the weeg pay for silly things like that.
I agree that was a clanger and would be surprised if it isnt mentioned to him but feel his decision making is generally getting better (helped by better execution). Just because he isnt ripped to shreds for it doesnt mean it is glossed over
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Anyway, looking at their remaining pro12 fixtures, they have a lot of the tough teams to come so can't afford much of a 6N let up. Think they need two wins from Scarlets (h), Ulster (a) and Ospreys (a). Scarlets is almost a must win
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

hp18 wrote:
Cameo wrote:
Would require the rebuilding of the north stand. Bigger temps can be used but only for certain periods.
Is that feasible? I know there is a bit of space behind the stand but there's also a railway track pretty close behind. What are the blockers?

What's stopping Glasgow covering the track and introducing some kind of pitchside standing like Edinburgh do at Murrayfield?
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Need to send you lads to specsavers. The ball was deflected by a Cardiff hand, that's why it went where it did.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
hp18 wrote: Would require the rebuilding of the north stand. Bigger temps can be used but only for certain periods.
Is that feasible? I know there is a bit of space behind the stand but there's also a railway track pretty close behind. What are the blockers?

What's stopping Glasgow covering the track and introducing some kind of pitchside standing like Edinburgh do at Murrayfield?
There's allotments between the two.

Just everyone else who uses Scotstoun, as well as everyone in the first couple of rows of the north stand who wouldn't be able to see anything.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

hp18 wrote:Need to send you lads to specsavers. The ball was deflected by a Cardiff hand, that's why it went where it did.

I know it was deflected. You can tell from the way he lined up and executed the kick he was NOT trying to boot it out. It is a blatant chip. It was not the time or place to try it.

I've just rewatched the incident on the beeb highlights. He is not clearing his lines. It's a clanger, no doubt about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38533150
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Some of u guys need to relax a bit, for years we moaned that we didn't have a creative off the cuff 10 and amazingly under Toonie we have a creative off the cuff 10, not sure how many of u are old enough but Toonie used to be a complete nightmare, I remember watching games when no one knew what he was doing and when it didn't work Scotland ended up in lots of trouble
Tobylerone

Post by Tobylerone »

whatisthejava wrote:Some of u guys need to relax a bit, for years we moaned that we didn't have a creative off the cuff 10 and amazingly under Toonie we have a creative off the cuff 10, not sure how many of u are old enough but Toonie used to be a complete nightmare, I remember watching games when no one knew what he was doing and when it didn't work Scotland ended up in lots of trouble
I remember, and you`re right..
Recall a young Toonie gifting a try, then attempting to make amends by trying to regather his own restart kick on the ten yard/metre line..
That didn`t end well either, as his forwards had hared off upfield expecting a conventional restart.