The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

hp18

Re: The Glasgow Beach Rugby Thread

Post by hp18 »

Big D wrote:
hp18 wrote:
Big D wrote:
From memory he was ok, nothing more, nothing less. Which was all that his Crusaders side needed.

Can't see how this helps Glasgow, if they ever have their fair complement of hookers fit. Unless it is a really favourable deal. Pat is 28/29 Fraser Brown is 26/27, Bryce is mid 20's(?), Scott is what 22?
Macarthur 28
Brown 26
Bryce 27, late to pro rugby
Scott 23
Malcolm 21
Fenton 20
Would it seem likely that one of Pat/Brown would be moving on then? Was hoping Brown would push on and challenge/overtake Ford.
Nope.
The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Rambo seems to be 2nd choice behind Ford, mcarthur is to small for int rugby, I'd be totes to arrange Rambo a move across the m8 to push Brown, ford hasn't been challenged at Ed since Hal left , he does enough to keep his spot
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

At the end of the day Glasgow have insane depth at hooker but no clear cut international class player in that position. At the end of the day Flynn is better than anything Glasgow have at 2. I don't get the criticism.

Bad for Scotland but good for Glasgow IMO. Time is running out for Bryce, Brown and MacArthur to show they can make the step up to international level anyway.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:At the end of the day Glasgow have insane depth at hooker but no clear cut international class player in that position. At the end of the day Flynn is better than anything Glasgow have at 2. I don't get the criticism.

Bad for Scotland but good for Glasgow IMO. Time is running out for Bryce, Brown and MacArthur to show they can make the step up to international level anyway.
A very experienced RWC winning hooker coaching the lads is good for Scotland. Bear in mind toonie picks the team, there'll be enough game time going around.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Rumour on the Glasgow forum has Bryce looking at a move to TH.
Croft_No.5

Post by Croft_No.5 »

Warriors sign Corey Flynn for 2 years. All Black hooker with plenty of experience. Will be good for the youngsters and Toonie sees him as part of the leadership group. He is 35 mind.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Croft_No.5 wrote:Warriors sign Corey Flynn for 2 years. All Black hooker with plenty of experience. Will be good for the youngsters and Toonie sees him as part of the leadership group. He is 35 mind.
How the hell did we not clock that news before?
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Croft_No.5 wrote:Warriors sign Corey Flynn for 2 years. All Black hooker with plenty of experience. Will be good for the youngsters and Toonie sees him as part of the leadership group. He is 35 mind.
Winder if Toonie thinks that the Mike Blair experiment is working.

Glasgow now have almost as many hookers as we do but I can't see any of them moving on and getting significant playing time sadly. A friend suggested that Brown might move back to the back-row but I really hope this doesn't happen.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

That's the Coo away lads. End of an era :(
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Lol, Newcastle love their Scots.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

So Glasgow have two games in hand and are 7 points behind Ulster in 4th and 14 behind Leinster (who they only have one game in hand on) in 2nd and 15 behind Connacht in 1st. Their 8 remaining games are.

Cardiff A
Leinster H
Ulster H
Treviso A
Zebre A
Scarlets A
Zebre H
Connacht A

That makes 40 points available. I reckon they are favorites to make the top four but will probs struggle for a home semi (unless Connacht collapse). To do that I say they could really do with getting bonus points wins against Cardiff, Treviso and Zebre twice and then at least 2 wins from the others with Ulster maybe being the biggest one. There is no reason that they can't win all those games though as they have tended to come onto a game at the end of the season and the hardest ones in the next couple of weeks are at home. 8 from 8 would be a huge effort though!

Once in the semis I say they might be favorites

(That was probs a pointless exercise but I enjoyed it)
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Save yourself some time and ask ontopofthemoon
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I reckon they'll get somewhere from 24-34 points from their remaining games. Its going to be tight getting into the top four.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

BigAl wrote:I reckon they'll get somewhere from 24-34 points from their remaining games. Its going to be tight getting into the top four.
A few of the current top four have matches against each other which could help. Edinburgh might do them a favour too. Either way Glasgow need to find their form
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Two year extensions for Harley, Wilson and Fusaro.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

People on the scottishrugbyblog saying that nakarawa is leaving to France. Have i missed this or is it just a rumour. Would be a huge loss
Argus

Post by Argus »

Nothing announced but the rumours have been going for a while and it looks to be true.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Big loss but Glasgow do have all the U20 locks attached to them. And they are looking good. Hopefully he sees out his contract.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

Henry Pyrgos will make his comeback from injury and captain Glasgow Warriors on his 100th appearance as they take on Cardiff Blues at Scotstoun Stadium, kick-off 2.30pm on Sunday.

Mark Bennett and Tim Swinson will also start after playing for Scotland in the victory over Italy last weekend in the RBS 6 Nations.

Henry Pyrgos will become the latest in a long line of centurions at the club, making his first appearance of the season after playing in the Rugby World Cup, captaining Scotland in a warm-up test against Ireland before leading the team in the group stage match against USA.

The 26-year-old received surgery on his wrist following the Rugby World Cup and becomes the second player in-a-row to make their 100th appearance after Peter Murchie reached the milestone last week in Newport. Mark Bennett

Murchie will start at full-back again, while Rory Hughes and Lee Jones are on the wings.

Mark Bennett and Alex Dunbar link up in the centre for the first time since December 2015 when the Warriors defeated Scarlets 9-6 in the European Rugby Champions Cup where Dunbar picked up the Man of the Match award.

Duncan Weir will play his third consecutive match for Glasgow, pairing up with Henry Pyrgos, whose last game for the club was the GUINNESS PRO12 Final when the Warriors lifted the trophy.

In the front-row, Gordon Reid and Zander Fagerson pack down alongside Fraser Brown who starts once again after recovering from injury to take on the Dragons in Newport last week.

Tim Swinson and Greg Peterson are named as the second-rows, while centurions Rob Harley and Chris Fusaro are in the back row.

Leone Nakarawa starts at No.8 for the second time this season.

Fresh from captaining the Scotland U20s to victory over England and Italy in the RBS 6 Nations, Scott Cummings is named on the bench with Sam Johnson also a replacement.

More than 6,300 tickets have been sold for the game but tickets are still available from glasgowwarriors.org and from the stadium ticket office on Sunday.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “We are really looking forward to making our return to Scotstoun on Sunday. We’ve missed playing at our home ground, but we’ve picked up two good wins recently and the players can’t wait to get out on the pitch in front of a big crowd.

“Cardiff Blues are a well coached team who are organised in defence and innovative in attack. We will have to play very well to continue our winning run."

“It’s great to welcome back Henry Pyrgos, who has been stuck on 99 caps since playing so well in last year’s Pro12 final. To have him coming back into the selection mix with so much rugby still left to play is a real boost for the squad.”

Glasgow Warriors team named to face Cardiff Blues on Sunday 6 March at Scotstoun Stadium kick-off 2.30pm, live on BBC ALBA.

15. Peter Murchie

14. Lee Jones

13. Mark Bennett

12. Alex Dunbar

11. Rory Hughes

10. Duncan Weir

9. Henry Pyrgos (c)

1. Gordon Reid

2. Fraser Brown

3. Zander Fagerson

4. Tim Swinson

5. Greg Peterson

6. Rob Harley

7. Chris Fusaro

8. Leone Nakarawa

Replacements

16. James Malcolm

17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa

18. Sila Puafisi

19. Scott Cummings

20. Simone Favaro

21. Mike Blair

22. Sam Johnson

23. Glenn Bryce

Not available due to injury: Alex Allan (concussion), Adam Ashe (shoulder), Kevin Bryce (shoulder), Ryan Grant (arm), Tyrone Holmes (foot), Gregor Hunter (concussion), Pat MacArthur (glut / hamstring), Taqele Naiyaravoro (concussion), Fergus Scott (shoulder) and Richie Vernon (shoulder).
Big D

Post by Big D »

Good to see Bennett getting released for game time. More miles in his legs will be a good thing IMO.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Really good team & bench.

8 will be interesting. I was hoping to see Ashe get gametime in this game or the last so he could pressure Denton and Strauss a bit. I guess his injury is more serious than first anticipated.

It does outline the problem Glasgow have at wing at the moment. Not an area they have any depth in at all really.

As mentioned with Ashe it would be good to understand the situation with some of these injuries. I thought Vernon was not meant to be a season-long lay off but it is looking that way, for example.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Looks like all our centres except Horne are playing this weekend and he's the one I wouldn't have in the 23 for France.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Well I think bennet could do with it, he hasnt lpoled that soarky. Should we not touch Dunbar regardless of how he plays. It's tempting but probably not wise.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Big D wrote:Looks like all our centres except Horne are playing this weekend and he's the one I wouldn't have in the 23 for France.
Horne covering centre and 10 is not my preference but I will take it. Having Horne AND Weir on the bench is unforgivable. Weir has not be released for this so I am pretty worried we are going rock up with yet another dirt bench.
Big D

Post by Big D »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Big D wrote:Looks like all our centres except Horne are playing this weekend and he's the one I wouldn't have in the 23 for France.
Horne covering centre and 10 is not my preference but I will take it. Having Horne AND Weir on the bench is unforgivable. Weir has not be released for this so I am pretty worried we are going rock up with yet another dirt bench.
IMO it should be a scrum half, Jackson and a centre (probably Scott) with Taylor covering wing from the 12 shirt.