Snap General Election called

Stom

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Stom »

Digby wrote:A partnership with the DUP seems fraught with issues, but unless Labour want to confirm they wouldn't seek support from Plaid Cymru and the SNP in any minority government then it'd perhaps be better not to throw stones in glass houses
Oh, fwck off with the partisan nonsense when it's a real and valid question on something that has real meaning. Both Scotland and Wales are very different circumstances to NI, and you know it.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I think she just managed to answer 10 questions in a row with the phrase "forming a government in the national interest".
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote:I think she just managed to answer 10 questions in a row with the phrase "forming a government in the national interest".
Another 62 and she'll break her 'strong and stable' record.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: always his own position anyway
I think largely down to rules around state ownership, I can't think otherwise he'd want to unwind all the worker's rights and trust a Tory government to uphold similar in future
No. like Tony Benn, it was an anti-elite thing.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:
Digby wrote:A partnership with the DUP seems fraught with issues, but unless Labour want to confirm they wouldn't seek support from Plaid Cymru and the SNP in any minority government then it'd perhaps be better not to throw stones in glass houses
Oh, fwck off with the partisan nonsense when it's a real and valid question on something that has real meaning. Both Scotland and Wales are very different circumstances to NI, and you know it.
er, suspect its a different point being addressed (and Digby isn't a conservative) - Labour has been making noises that an alliance with the DUP isn't legitimate because English punters didn't have an opportunity to scrutinise a DUP candidate/manifesto so couldn't know what they were voting for, unlike a tory/libdem alliance. A tad tenuous, and you'd have the same issue with SNP/PC/(SF) in a 'progressive' alliance...which would be too short of votes anyway.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stom wrote:
But all will come with the valid concern that the national parties will seek to gouge terms in their interests. Also I'm not sure how I'm partisan in this, yes I don't like Corbyn, but I don't like the Tories either, I'd like to like the Lib Dems but sadly their policies get in the way of that.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: always his own position anyway
I think largely down to rules around state ownership, I can't think otherwise he'd want to unwind all the worker's rights and trust a Tory government to uphold similar in future
Not sure how they arrived at that nonsense. Okay the CAP was set up to stop the 'threat' of communism in France, but that's a long time back, CAP serves a very different purpose now, and the EU has been good for worker rights.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

How will this work with the whole English votes for English laws thing? Well they even have a majority without their Scottish and NI MPs?

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Digby

Re: RE: Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Digby »

canta_brian wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:There were some interesting articles in the press yesterday concerning a softer brexit. Im not convinced that May, with a big majority, would not have gone for some kind of compromise. However, thats all speculation now. Will the EU be a bit more bullish now, knowing that she is hugely weakened? Can she get a vote through parliament? I don't think she can.

But what if she can't? My understanding is that if we don't agree a deal, we are still leaving anyway. A second referendum in the UK doesn't mean much if there is no offer on the table to offer the electorate if the PM can't get something through parliament.

What a complete mess.
Raises a good point. Now that article 50 is triggered can we stay in? If we don't like the deal offered and vote against it,is the only option no deal and leave or can we stay in?
We're out now, unless we ask back in and every other EU state agrees to it
canta_brian

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Snap General Election called

Post by canta_brian »

Digby wrote:
canta_brian wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:There were some interesting articles in the press yesterday concerning a softer brexit. Im not convinced that May, with a big majority, would not have gone for some kind of compromise. However, thats all speculation now. Will the EU be a bit more bullish now, knowing that she is hugely weakened? Can she get a vote through parliament? I don't think she can.

But what if she can't? My understanding is that if we don't agree a deal, we are still leaving anyway. A second referendum in the UK doesn't mean much if there is no offer on the table to offer the electorate if the PM can't get something through parliament.

What a complete mess.
Raises a good point. Now that article 50 is triggered can we stay in? If we don't like the deal offered and vote against it,is the only option no deal and leave or can we stay in?
Rock and hard place spring to mind.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Not sure how they arrived at that nonsense. Okay the CAP was set up to stop the 'threat' of communism in France, but that's a long time back, CAP serves a very different purpose now, and the EU has been good for worker rights.
as in 'an elite running things for their and their mates benefits'
Banquo

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Banquo »

canta_brian wrote:
Digby wrote:
canta_brian wrote: Raises a good point. Now that article 50 is triggered can we stay in? If we don't like the deal offered and vote against it,is the only option no deal and leave or can we stay in?
Rock and hard place spring to mind.
been that way since last June.
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

Zhivago wrote:How will this work with the whole English votes for English laws thing? Well they even have a majority without their Scottish and NI MPs?
That's actually quite an interesting point. Watch out for lots of back-pedalling on what the scope of this is.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:How will this work with the whole English votes for English laws thing? Well they even have a majority without their Scottish and NI MPs?
There are 533 English MPs. The Tories have 21 Celtic MPs, which would leave them with 297. That would leave them with a majority of 60 odd for English votes, depending on how the final London seat ends up.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Sandydragon wrote:
There are 533 English MPs. The Tories have 21 Celtic MPs, which would leave them with 297. That would leave them with a majority of 60 odd for English votes, depending on how the final London seat ends up.
But what about votes which include the Welsh MPs...

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

I see Theresa's latest soundbite is "let's get back to work".

Work she could easily have been getting on with already were it not for some fucktard's decision to call a snap election.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
But what about votes which include the Welsh MPs...
There are 40 Welsh MPs, so even if they were all opposition, it wouldn't make a huge difference on paper.

Only a vote which excluded NI MPs would cause a problem.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Lord Lucan

Post by Lord Lucan »

Nigel Farage for Prime Minister, what a wonderful thought.

Rich

Post by Rich »

Majority lost

Bollocks.
Vengeful Glutton

Post by Vengeful Glutton »

Looks like the gormless Theresa May misread the younger vote, who had left their safe spaces to respond to Brexit. Great to see it being insufficient to get the left back in, and better still, it means the DUP will be in a position to curtail shinner skullduggery oop north!

SNP lose seats too, meaning Jimmy Kranky's dreams of sweaty independence will have to be put on hold.

:lol:
Quid est veritas?
Est vir qui adest!
morepork

Post by morepork »

Who the fuck is the Spinal Tap extra in that vid? Has he no pride?
Coco

Post by Coco »

Wearing a leather jacket with no shirt to cover his hairless chest distracted me from what he was saying.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.

Thomas Sowell
cashead

Post by cashead »

^ Who the fuck wears a leather jacket with no shirt underneath? Have some fucking self-respect, like.

Who the fuck cares about what some love-child of John Lennon if he were inbred and a fucking tampon has to say.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar