Snap General Election called

Adder

Re: RE: Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Adder »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
twitchy wrote:Image
although its a spoof, I'm trying to imagine how Corbyn could be PM in a strong stable coalition....not quite succeeding.

It's increasingly looking like Unionists v Republicans in parliament, as an aside; Jezza is anti monarchy iirc.
I'm anti monarchy too. Though given they exist, and we'd still need a head of state, and I don't want a President, or for the PM to have many of the head of state duties, and the monarchy is a useful diplomatic tool, and the monarchy is useful for tourism, and that it'd swamp any Parliament for time to try and unwind the monarch as the head of state I don't know I'd ever bother to try and change the monarchy, I'll just grumble it was ever set up like that in the first place.

Given it is there I wouldn't be as rude about them as Corbyn has been.
I never understood the tourism part.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
Adder

Post by Adder »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
although its a spoof, I'm trying to imagine how Corbyn could be PM in a strong stable coalition....not quite succeeding.

It's increasingly looking like Unionists v Republicans in parliament, as an aside; Jezza is anti monarchy iirc.
I'm anti monarchy too. Though given they exist, and we'd still need a head of state, and I don't want a President, or for the PM to have many of the head of state duties, and the monarchy is a useful diplomatic tool, and the monarchy is useful for tourism, and that it'd swamp any Parliament for time to try and unwind the monarch as the head of state I don't know I'd ever bother to try and change the monarchy, I'll just grumble it was ever set up like that in the first place.

Given it is there I wouldn't be as rude about them as Corbyn has been.
I never understood the tourism part.

Vengeful Glutton

Post by Vengeful Glutton »

Adder wrote: I never understood the tourism part.

Moolah.
Quid est veritas?
Est vir qui adest!
Sandydragon

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Sandydragon »

Banquo wrote:

Even less stability than the Tories would have; purely based on the numbers involved and the number of parties.

To get a majority, Corbyn would need the support of all other MPs and between the DUP and one 1 NI Independent MP, who I just can't see voting for him ever, he won't get that. The only way he would survive is if the Tories let him hang on whilst they sort out their own issues or to be a fall guy for Brexit.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
Sandydragon wrote: Hung parliament could still mean a Conservative led coalition, if only a couple of seats out the Ulster Unionists will prop her up.

OK, if the Conservatives have a majority government after the election, which could be just 1 seat, then I win. If not you win. Loser gets to display the avatar of the winner's choice for 1 month (but it has to be safe for work).

Agreed?
Agreed
Here's your avatar, Sandy.

You need to make that image smaller. Its currently 400 x 400 pixels; maximum size is 150x150.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Ignore the last Kamber. 31 days and counting.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote: good for you, but you aren't the leader of the Labour party.
Even better for me, and for them too tbh.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Sandydragon wrote:Ignore the last Kamber. 31 days and counting.
Good stuff Sandy.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:
Good stuff Sandy.
A promise is a promise and all that.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Sandydragon wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
Good stuff Sandy.
A promise is a promise and all that.
Yeah, but election promises...
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

One word.

Gove
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

In a poll I saw earlier, the only conservative politician that gets a positive public review is Ruth Davison. Who isn't an mp.

Boris was the best of the rest. There will be another GE in the not too distant future, might as well fight fire with fire.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote:In a poll I saw earlier, the only conservative politician that gets a positive public review is Ruth Davison. Who isn't an mp.

Boris was the best of the rest. There will be another GE in the not too distant future, might as well fight fire with fire.
I feckin hope not. Not only would corbers likely be running a minority govt, but I'm sick and tired, like Brenda, of these incompetent c*nts preening their self importance all over the place. They are meant to serve us, not themselves. The world would lose cock all if we just got rid of the lot of them and started again.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:In a poll I saw earlier, the only conservative politician that gets a positive public review is Ruth Davison. Who isn't an mp.

I feckin hope not. Not only would corbers likely be running a minority govt, but I'm sick and tired, like Brenda, of these incompetent c*nts preening their self importance all over the place. They are meant to serve us, not themselves. The world would lose cock all if we just got rid of the lot of them and started again.
Indeed. I hate that it's all about: Oh, we need to do this to stop them getting in...that's not how it bloody works! You need to do something to help me! To help Banquo, to help Mrs. Taylor down the road with her tea shop. To help Virat with his convenience store. You bunch of self serving egotistical wank buckets.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Banquo wrote:

I think Brenda will be having a full on meltdown. Whilst another election isn't what anyone wants at the moment, except Corbyn, I can't see a minority government, of any colour, working.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Indeed. I hate that it's all about: Oh, we need to do this to stop them getting in...that's not how it bloody works! You need to do something to help me! To help Banquo, to help Mrs. Taylor down the road with her tea shop. To help Virat with his convenience store. You bunch of self serving egotistical wank buckets.
Banquo is beyond help ;)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Stom wrote:
Banquo wrote: I feckin hope not. Not only would corbers likely be running a minority govt, but I'm sick and tired, like Brenda, of these incompetent c*nts preening their self importance all over the place. They are meant to serve us, not themselves. The world would lose cock all if we just got rid of the lot of them and started again.
Banquo is beyond help ;)
c%nt
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Stom wrote:
Banquo is beyond help ;)
c%nt
help myself
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Hahaha
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 84641.html

This farce just gets better and better

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Stom wrote:Jonathan Powell said this about siding with the DUP, a stance I hadn't considered. I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on it, especially from someone who may know a bit more about this than me. Eugene?
I do think it’s a mistake to go into government with the “support of our friends” in the DUP. Even John Major avoided doing that and the reason he avoided that is the peace process is based on a balance that the British government has made it clear it is neutral in Northern Ireland, it doesn’t take sides. Once you have their support you are no longer neutral.

It matters for two big reasons. First, we haven’t managed to get the executive back up and running in Northern Ireland because of divisions between the two sides. The British government were trying to mediate between the two sides to get an administration up and running again and of course now it can’t possibly have that role of mediating.

And secondly I think it’s a mistake because one of the big issues in the Brexit negotiations is the border between north and south. Now the DUP is a minority in its view about Brexit, it’s in favour of Brexit. This is going to be a very real problem.

Whatever you put on a piece of paper, you’re living there with a minority government, that’s dependant on the DUP, you get to a crucial issue and then they say, ‘Remember what we want in terms of talks in Northern Ireland’, and the government has a choice: do they say, ‘We’re not giving you let, we’ll let the government collapse’, or do they just bend a little on that issue, it’s just one small issue it doesn’t matter. But beyond that the government can’t possibly be seen as neutral on Northern Ireland now if it puts itself at the mercy of the DUP.
HMG will find it very difficult - even moreso than usual - to be trusted as an honest broker in the executive discussions. I don't see how it would work, nor how the DUP would permit anyone else to do the job. Certainly the DUP won't be happy for the Irish govt to do the job and I can't see Trump's America doing the job. The consequences of that are hard to unravel. Direct rule could lead to a return to terrorism I guess, but I'd expect Sinn Fein and the big beasts in the RA to just wait out the collapse of this government rather than go back to buying trips in Libya.

That being said, even th DUP say they don't want a hard border. I don't see Brexit negotiations really being an issue
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
Stom wrote:Jonathan Powell said this about siding with the DUP, a stance I hadn't considered. I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on it, especially from someone who may know a bit more about this than me. Eugene?
I do think it’s a mistake to go into government with the “support of our friends” in the DUP. Even John Major avoided doing that and the reason he avoided that is the peace process is based on a balance that the British government has made it clear it is neutral in Northern Ireland, it doesn’t take sides. Once you have their support you are no longer neutral.

It matters for two big reasons. First, we haven’t managed to get the executive back up and running in Northern Ireland because of divisions between the two sides. The British government were trying to mediate between the two sides to get an administration up and running again and of course now it can’t possibly have that role of mediating.

And secondly I think it’s a mistake because one of the big issues in the Brexit negotiations is the border between north and south. Now the DUP is a minority in its view about Brexit, it’s in favour of Brexit. This is going to be a very real problem.

Whatever you put on a piece of paper, you’re living there with a minority government, that’s dependant on the DUP, you get to a crucial issue and then they say, ‘Remember what we want in terms of talks in Northern Ireland’, and the government has a choice: do they say, ‘We’re not giving you let, we’ll let the government collapse’, or do they just bend a little on that issue, it’s just one small issue it doesn’t matter. But beyond that the government can’t possibly be seen as neutral on Northern Ireland now if it puts itself at the mercy of the DUP.
HMG will find it very difficult - even moreso than usual - to be trusted as an honest broker in the executive discussions. I don't see how it would work, nor how the DUP would permit anyone else to do the job. Certainly the DUP won't be happy for the Irish govt to do the job and I can't see Trump's America doing the job. The consequences of that are hard to unravel. Direct rule could lead to a return to terrorism I guess, but I'd expect Sinn Fein and the big beasts in the RA to just wait out the collapse of this government rather than go back to buying trips in Libya.

That being said, even th DUP say they don't want a hard border. I don't see Brexit negotiations really being an issue
Mess. Another GE beckons, as JC cannot form a govt, no matter what he says. However, can see him being able to form a minority one next time round, if and when. May has utterly destroyed the illusion (where it existed) of Tory competence on issues like security, economy, and totally re-toxified the semi-toxic brand through botching the social care conversation (which needed to happen, but ffs sake think it through).
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

It is a very delicate balance over here Euge and Stom. This time last week it was not.

Following the March elections Sinn Fein held all the cards and the DUP were begging for scraps - and even then we were close to an agreement before the general election was called. An agreement that would likely have collapsed on the sticky issue of Foster's position as FM. Her position has now been strengthened immeasurably and I think that Sinn Fein will make a lot of noise, but probably accept the deal as already agreed on some form of Irish language act and assurances on the border. Their belief that there was a possible return to the electorate has now been blown out of the water and If they don't agree to form an Executive, we're back to direct rule in some form that will see them lose all those concessions and the most influential position they have ever held in the northern Assembly.

The NI parties like to play on the brink, but even Sinn Fein will recognise that their long game needs to be played for a while longer yet.

Sinn Fein already made it clear that they did not view Brokenshire as an honest broker, so a Tory/DUP alliance in Westminster does not make the situation substantially worse and, while they were pro-BREXIT, the DUP have made it abundantly clear that they favour a 'frictionless' border between north and south. Many of Arlene Foster's Fermanagh constituents farm land that straddles the border so she gets it.
Last edited by SerjeantWildgoose on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idle Feck
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:It is a very delicate balance over here Euge and Stom. This time last week it was not.

Following the March elections Sinn Fein held all the cards and the DUP were begging for scraps - and even then we were close to an agreement before the general election was called. An agreement that would likely have collapsed on the sticky issue of Foster's position as FM. Her position has now been strengthened immeasurably and I think that Sinn Fein will make a lot of noise, but probably accept the deal as already agreed on some form of Irish language act and assurances on the border. Their belief that there was a possible return to the electorate has now been blown out of the water and If they don't agree to form an Executive, we're back to direct rule in some form that will see them lose all those concessions and the most influential position they have ever held in the northern Assembly.

The NI parties like to play on the brink, but even Sinn Fein will recognise that their long game needs to be played for a while longer yet.
So, bizarrely, this shenanigans might be short-term beneficial for the Assembly?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Zhivago wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:I can see the Lib Dems doing very well out of this.
They'll be having my vote
is that what happened, out of interest?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:I can see the Lib Dems doing very well out of this.
They'll be having my vote
is that what happened, out of interest?
They got my vote, just 30,000 more and they'd have been up with the Tory candidate. Labour were well clear in 2nd and even they'd need another 16,000 or so to catch the Tories.