Banquo

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
They'll be having my vote
is that what happened, out of interest?
They got my vote, just 30,000 more and they'd have been up with the Tory candidate. Labour were well clear in 2nd and even they'd need another 16,000 or so to catch the Tories.
Interesting, but was asking Kamber/Zhivago
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Jesus. I'll be so amused if Digby, Flouncey McFlounceface and I all voted for the same party.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Jesus. I'll be so amused if Digby, Flouncey McFlounceface and I all voted for the same party.
er...me too.....
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Banquo wrote:
Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Jesus. I'll be so amused if Digby, Flouncey McFlounceface and I all voted for the same party.
er...me too.....
Aye but Kamber won't find that anywhere near as infuriating
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I voted Lib Dem with reservations. Namely I thought their idea of another referendum more than a little daft, I'd much rather they'd accepted the vote was lost and had focused on securing as positive a deal as possible. It doesn't seem either their plan as is really resonated with the 48% as perhaps they hoped it would, just as the Tories no doubt hoped for more of the 52% to go with them rather than vote Labour
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
Banquo wrote:
er...me too.....
Aye but Kamber won't find that anywhere near as infuriating
No, I meant I'd find that amusing.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:I voted Lib Dem with reservations. Namely I thought their idea of another referendum more than a little daft, I'd much rather they'd accepted the vote was lost and had focused on securing as positive a deal as possible. It doesn't seem either their plan as is really resonated with the 48% as perhaps they hoped it would, just as the Tories no doubt hoped for more of the 52% to go with them rather than vote Labour
The ex-kippers seemed to be pretty convinced Brexit was a done deal so returned to their native party- so ironically, May did too good a job with them.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: is that what happened, out of interest?
They got my vote, just 30,000 more and they'd have been up with the Tory candidate. Labour were well clear in 2nd and even they'd need another 16,000 or so to catch the Tories.
Interesting, but was asking Kamber/Zhivago
None of the parties touched the most fundamental issue for me which is reform of the monetary system, so I voted tactically for the best anti-tory option, which just so happened to be Labour in my constituency.

You might be interested to know that the Libdems were my first choice back in 2010. I have no loyalty to any party. I vote based on the policies offered up in combination with the likelihood that I'm not being lied to, and also the consequences of my choice with respect to the FPTP system.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:I voted Lib Dem with reservations. Namely I thought their idea of another referendum more than a little daft, I'd much rather they'd accepted the vote was lost and had focused on securing as positive a deal as possible. It doesn't seem either their plan as is really resonated with the 48% as perhaps they hoped it would, just as the Tories no doubt hoped for more of the 52% to go with them rather than vote Labour
The ex-kippers seemed to be pretty convinced Brexit was a done deal so returned to their native party- so ironically, May did too good a job with them.
Mostly. In all the chaos. the Tories did take a few seats off Labour. Stoke on Trent south for example which is now Blue for the first time. Huge Brexit majority around here and in my area of Stoke North, the Labour MP Ruth Smeeth only got returned with a majority of 2K. These seats are generally consider safe ones for Labour.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Mostly. In all the chaos. the Tories did take a few seats off Labour. Stoke on Trent south for example which is now Blue for the first time. Huge Brexit majority around here and in my area of Stoke North, the Labour MP Ruth Smeeth only got returned with a majority of 2K. These seats are generally consider safe ones for Labour.
cool, but pretty much May's play for the Labour Leave constituencies was an epic fail. By contrast Jezza's pitch to the youth paid off spectacularly, and indeed attracted many from the 25-65 bracket too!
Digby

Post by Digby »

Have we had any update from the Tories on what they're going to do about the West Lothian question? One assume they'll kick their objections into the long grass and pretend there's no change to their position, and they'll likely be correct that before they said that people would be assuming politicians are lying hypocritical bastards, and after they say that people will think politicians are lying hypocritical bastards

Right now under EVEL the Tories would lose both their Scottish MPs and the DUP

Edit- though the SNP wouldn't be able to vote against them either
Last edited by Digby on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Banquo wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
Banquo wrote: The ex-kippers seemed to be pretty convinced Brexit was a done deal so returned to their native party- so ironically, May did too good a job with them.
cool, but pretty much May's play for the Labour Leave constituencies was an epic fail. By contrast Jezza's pitch to the youth paid off spectacularly, and indeed attracted many from the 25-65 bracket too!
I think who ever devised the Tory strategy got a bit carried away. There is talk of MPs in so called safe seats being sent to fight in Labour safe seats. That's fine provided the opportunity is realistic and your own seat is ultra secure - which was wrong on both counts. May would have been better shoring up her own voters and targeting a reduced number of Labour seats which were more likely to swing.

However, I don't think there was much that could be done to counter the dire campaigning and lack of any hopeful message.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
I think who ever devised the Tory strategy got a bit carried away. There is talk of MPs in so called safe seats being sent to fight in Labour safe seats. That's fine provided the opportunity is realistic and your own seat is ultra secure - which was wrong on both counts. May would have been better shoring up her own voters and targeting a reduced number of Labour seats which were more likely to swing.

However, I don't think there was much that could be done to counter the dire campaigning and lack of any hopeful message.
true the Labour Leave plan should have been the icing on the cake; they dropped the cake.

In another news, queens speech delayed, Brexit kick off ditto likely, and NHS has suffered a massive drop off in nursing applications from the EU; pound continues to drop (inflation here we come)..........Project Fear may well be looked back on as Project Over-Optimistic
Last edited by Banquo on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I think May's plan for working age, working class UKIPpers did work, as can be seen in a few Conservative gains, some very close calls and the swings in predominantly working class Leave constituencies. The problem is she pissed off the retired UKIPpers whilst Corbyn promised to keep paying the well off amongst them money they don't need. Plus the yoof vote, obviously.
Remember, the Conservatives increased their vote share, just not as much as Labour. I read somewhere that the Conservatives were 4,500ish votes from forming a majority such were the number of close calls. Most of these were Labour held constituencies targeted by May's policies for 'JAMS'.

Don't take this as me defending May. She has royally ****ed up.

As an aside, if someone can explain to me how the hell Goldsmith regained Richmond Park I'd much obliged.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:I think May's plan for working age, working class UKIPpers did work, as can be seen in a few Conservative gains, some very close calls and the swings in predominantly working class Leave constituencies. The problem is she pissed off the retired UKIPpers whilst Corbyn promised to keep paying the well off amongst them money they don't need. Plus the yoof vote, obviously.
Remember, the Conservatives increased their vote share, just not as much as Labour. I read somewhere that the Conservatives were 4,500ish votes from forming a majority such were the number of close calls. Most of these were Labour held constituencies targeted by May's policies for 'JAMS'.

As an aside, if someone can explain to me how the hell Goldsmith regained Richmond Park I'd much obliged.
I was referring to naturally Labour voting ex-kippers, and specifically oop north, where it manifestly (haha) failed- and the focus on these seats on the ground cost them. They grew share with Tory kippers and a few labour kippers; Labour got the yoof, the Labour kippers in higher numbers than predicted, and some disaffected Tories (who May drove away). But it was all tight, I agree- last time round, most cards fell the tory way where they dropped.

the number was something like 280 votes short iirc.
Last edited by Banquo on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Sandydragon wrote:There is talk of MPs in so called safe seats being sent to fight in Labour safe seats.

I know the first bit to be true. CCHQ had their modelling all wrong - as I posted on the eve of the election, they expected to gain enough seats to put them north of a 50 majority. This is partly through lack of time to do the back ground work and partly because they treated it as a normal election, run along the normally policy lines and with the usual voting patterns. Which it patently was not.

The second bit is spot on.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:There is talk of MPs in so called safe seats being sent to fight in Labour safe seats.

I know the first bit to be true. CCHQ had their modelling all wrong - as I posted on the eve of the election, they expected to gain enough seats to put them north of a 50 majority. This is partly through lack of time to do the back ground work and partly because they treated it as a normal election, run along the normally policy lines and with the usual voting patterns. Which it patently was not.

The second bit is spot on.
Ashcroft looks a mug and wasted his time on that local polling- he was still calling 50+ majority at 9pm on Thursday!!
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:I think May's plan for working age, working class UKIPpers did work, as can be seen in a few Conservative gains, some very close calls and the swings in predominantly working class Leave constituencies. The problem is she pissed off the retired UKIPpers whilst Corbyn promised to keep paying the well off amongst them money they don't need. Plus the yoof vote, obviously.

I was referring to naturally Labour voting ex-kippers, and specifically oop north, where it manifestly (haha) failed- and the focus on these seats on the ground cost them. I think the number was something like 280 votes short tbh.
Even up north it worked to an extent. Places such as Sunderland (I think, there is so much info going round I'm getting confused) actually swang towards May, just not by enough for it work in similar but more marginal seats. When the Newcastle and Sunderland constituencies declared those results showed the exit polls to be wrong and May to have a majority.

As for votes required for a majority you could well be correct (I think 4,500 may be to increase her majority). It does, though, show how close it was. The difference was students and hardcore Remainers in London.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:

I was referring to naturally Labour voting ex-kippers, and specifically oop north, where it manifestly (haha) failed- and the focus on these seats on the ground cost them. They grew share with Tory kippers and a few labour kippers; Labour got the yoof, the Labour kippers in higher numbers than predicted, and some disaffected Tories (who May drove away). But it was all tight, I agree- last time round, most cards fell the tory way where they dropped.

Back to your old, underhand editing tricks again I see. ;)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:

too quick to finish as normal for you :). My point was they focused hard on delivering a load of northern marginals, which they didn't get (albeit with a small swing, because the ex Labour kippers didn't go in the numbers they expected), and took their eye off the back door, as well as being generally shyte. Brexit was basically seen as history by an awful lot of leave voters imo, and so they didn't feel the need to rely on tough Theresa to sort it out.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote: I was referring to naturally Labour voting ex-kippers, and specifically oop north, where it manifestly (haha) failed- and the focus on these seats on the ground cost them. They grew share with Tory kippers and a few labour kippers; Labour got the yoof, the Labour kippers in higher numbers than predicted, and some disaffected Tories (who May drove away). But it was all tight, I agree- last time round, most cards fell the tory way where they dropped.

too quick to finish as normal for you :). My point was they focused hard on delivering a load of northern marginals, which they didn't get (albeit with a small swing, because the ex Labour kippers didn't go in the numbers they expected), and took their eye off the back door, as well as being generally shyte. Brexit was basically seen as history by an awful lot of leave voters imo, and so they didn't feel the need to rely on tough Theresa to sort it out.
Yep, all true. It was a **** up. Me trying to say it was a success of sorts is like Labour supporters claiming they won. However you look at it they didn't achieve their aim.
Peat

Post by Peat »

Digby wrote:Have we had any update from the Tories on what they're going to do about the West Lothian question? One assume they'll kick their objections into the long grass and pretend there's no change to their position, and they'll likely be correct that before they said that people would be assuming politicians are lying hypocritical bastards, and after they say that people will think politicians are lying hypocritical bastards

Think the Tories would have a stronger majority once you subtract all the Celts so no need for them to backpedal there.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Peat wrote:
Digby wrote:Have we had any update from the Tories on what they're going to do about the West Lothian question? One assume they'll kick their objections into the long grass and pretend there's no change to their position, and they'll likely be correct that before they said that people would be assuming politicians are lying hypocritical bastards, and after they say that people will think politicians are lying hypocritical bastards

Think the Tories would have a stronger majority once you subtract all the Celts so no need for them to backpedal there.
got Lions tour written all over it
canta_brian

Re: RE: Re: Snap General Election called

Post by canta_brian »

Fair few close calls the other way as well. My constituency had a 2500 odd tory majority cut to just 31. (labour). Amber Rudd's constituency just kept recounting until the ended up on a number where she had more votes (still don't know how recounts work), and there must be a few others.
Banquo

Re: RE: Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Banquo »

canta_brian wrote:

Fair few close calls the other way as well. My constituency had a 2500 odd tory majority cut to just 31. (labour). Amber Rudd's constituency just kept recounting until the ended up on a number where she had more votes (still don't know how recounts work), and there must be a few others.
I saw it was 2200 ish votes stopped Corbyn being able to be a minority leader, and c 300 votes cost May an overall majority. Some interesting stuff on the student vote too- Canterbury and Sheffield, and possibly even Cambridge being significant contributors to wins....Mayor of Canterbury saying should only get a vote based on permanent residence, but he would!