The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

hugh_woatmeigh

Re: The Glasgow Beach Rugby Thread

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Horrible second half but lots of positives to take out of that. No BP could hurt them. Connacht look unstoppable atm, We could well see all 4 irish teams in the play offs.
Matt Ha

Post by Matt Ha »

Only caught the second half. Old Naka can be so hit and miss at times. On a good day he can do things that no other lock in Europe can do (as in the final) but when it doesn't click he might as well hand the ball over to the opposition.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Matt Ha wrote:Only caught the second half. Old Naka can be so hit and miss at times. On a good day he can do things that no other lock in Europe can do (as in the final) but when it doesn't click he might as well hand the ball over to the opposition.
He's mainly "hit" nowadays. I don't think its fair to judge him playing at no 8. No Strauss, no Ashe, no Wilson and no Hill.
Chunks Baws

Post by Chunks Baws »

Matt Ha wrote:Only caught the second half. Old Naka can be so hit and miss at times. On a good day he can do things that no other lock in Europe can do (as in the final) but when it doesn't click he might as well hand the ball over to the opposition.
He just needs to realise that he doesn't need to offload every single time he has the ball.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Chunks Baws wrote:
He just needs to realise that he doesn't need to offload every single time he has the ball.
That's what i was thinking yesterday but im not sure that it isnt the fact that he is looking for an offload all the time that means he gets so many good ones. Opportunities arise when most player would have tucked the ball under one arm to avoid losing it.

Also it does mean tacklers dont know what to do
Adder

Post by Adder »

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/16/ ... ns-glasgow

Glasgow Warriors have signed Italian international winger Leonardo Sarto, subject to a medical.

The 24-year-old, who will arrive in the summer from GUINNESS PRO12 side Zebre, has signed a two-year deal with the Warriors keeping him at Scotstoun until May 2018.

Sarto has 26 caps for Italy and scored on his international debut against Scotland in the South African Quadrangular Tournament in June 2013. He has also scored for his country against Ireland, England, Wales and Romania. Leonardo Sarto

He is now a regular for Italy and started all three RBS 6 Nations games against France, England and Scotland this season, as well as all four of their Rugby World Cup pool matches last year, scoring a try in the win over Romania. He has made 50 appearances for Zebre over the last four years.

Speaking exclusively to glasgowwarriors.org, Leonardo Sarto said: “Glasgow Warriors are a massive club and play a great style of rugby.

“I wanted to move to the UK as I know the standard of rugby is high and I want to improve my game. Joining a club like Glasgow Warriors will help me do that.
“I’ve always known Glasgow is a great club and I know Simone Favaro is enjoying it there. I hear the fans love him and I hope I will have a similarly good relationship with them when I move over."

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “Leonardo has been one of the best wingers in the GUINNESS PRO12 over the past few seasons and has an ability to break tackles.

"He has also performed well at Test level and had an excellent all-round game against Scotland last month.

"He is somebody we've been tracking for a while and we're delighted that he has committed to us from next season.
"We believe that he will make further improvements in our environment and will add to the competition for places in our backline."
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

This is a problem for Scotland IMO (along with Edinburgh's signing from Ulster).
Edinburgh in Exile

Post by Edinburgh in Exile »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:This is a problem for Scotland IMO (along with Edinburgh's signing from Ulster).
That's new, it was only an Embra problem last week.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:This is a problem for Scotland IMO (along with Edinburgh's signing from Ulster).
He will just be replacing Neiyarovoroo/DTH so not a bit worry. Cant really remember how good he is. Definately still a bit opportunity for one of the youngsters to step up. Not yet convinced by Hughes (or the Edinburgh ones) but he did look powerful on Sunday
Adder

Post by Adder »

Cameo wrote:
He will just be replacing Neiyarovoroo/DTH so not a bit worry. Cant really remember how good he is. Definately still a bit opportunity for one of the youngsters to step up. Not yet convinced by Hughes (or the Edinburgh ones) but he did look powerful on Sunday[/quote

He is quite good for Italy. Could do really well at Glasgow.

Pieman

Post by Pieman »

Good player, I think this is a very good signing for Glasgow. And he actually wants to come, which is a better starting point than we had with Naiyaravoro.

I think it was necessary to bring in an established foreigner - Glasgow had so many options at wing last season but having lost dth, maitland and matawalu they just don't have the same quality anymore.
Tobylerone

Post by Tobylerone »

He`s like a taller, younger DTH, and won`t need a pickup truck to move him around the pitch, unlike a very expensive SH import..
Big D

Post by Big D »

The only issue I see is that he probably wont be available throughout the international windows so Glasgow will likely be without their 1st choice back 3. But there should be strength in depth to cover that.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Complete brain fart from Sarto gifted Ireland the platform for an easy try today. Still not sure about this one.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Do we want this and the embra thread stickied or aee we happy to bump them?
Edinburgh in Exile

OptimisticJock wrote:Do we want this and the embra thread stickied or aee we happy to bump them?
Personally prefer them to not be stickied, it's easier to spot new posts when it bumps the fred, and I doubt they will slide off the front page. Not pushed either way though. You could probably just delete the Weegie one randomly every now and then. Just because.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Edinburgh in Exile wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:Do we want this and the embra thread stickied or aee we happy to bump them?
Personally prefer them to not be stickied, it's easier to spot new posts when it bumps the fred, and I doubt they will slide off the front page. Not pushed either way though. You could probably just delete the Weegie one randomly every now and then. Just because.
Or the Edinburgh one. Like the team it could go MIA every week.
Edinburgh in Exile

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Edinburgh in Exile wrote:
Or the Edinburgh one. Like the team it could go MIA every week.
How very dare you.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

When can we expect the team to be named given it is a Friday game?
Big D

Post by Big D »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:When can we expect the team to be named given it is a Friday game?
Probably once Scotland know what they are doing at 10/22.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Fagerson, Cummings and Davidson have been held back from U20s
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

That's tough on the u20s but understandable. Hope at least 2 of them start
Chunks Baws

Post by Chunks Baws »

Rory Clegg has (re)signed from Oyannax.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Chunks Baws wrote:Rory Clegg has (re)signed from Oyannax.
That makes sense. Happy for them to go with Russell, Clegg, Horne and any youngster Townsend backs. Not sure we'll see too many more signings unless someone leaves
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Weeg team looks a bit more predictable now the Scotland team is out. The Sco team is both amazing yet grim news for Glasgow. Superb that they produce so many internationals yet they will be decimated yet again this weekend.