EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Raggs

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Raggs »

Mellsblue wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Digby wrote:
Some of Robson's exit plays in the first round were excellent, maybe they all were but I didn't concentrate on the whole game (and there was one perhaps stand out iffy kick)
Can't recall bad kicks this time, he had a good box kick (upto half way) to clear, and then absolutely nailed a bit of a kick tennis, bouncing it out about 10m from Wuss's try line.
There was the charge down by Alo. It was pretty rank, notwithstanding Alo is bigger than Flatman's car.
I thought it was a 7/10 performance, which would put him above the vast majority of those who played. His passing was quite loopy but it was tipping it down.
Ah yeah, that was poor from him, forgot that.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

7/10 is about right. Mostly fine with the odd good moment and the odd poor one. Flatmans comments were a hoot. He is a really funny bloke.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:Should we be keeping an eye on Tom Collins as a bolter for the squad? If Watson moves to fullback (please let this happen) then May is the only Jones regular that is a contender for speedster wing position.
I was thinking that. He's certainly looked the part the last couple of games. What's impressed me is that he's imposed himself on a game where his side were getting rinsed - the likes of Wade and Roko have a tendency to go awol when the game's against them, but Collins drove his side against Sarries. It was reminiscent of Robinson actually.

If he can keep that up, he should definitely be in with a shout.

Puja
Backist Monk
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Out of interest, when is Billy V back? I know he had surgery and missed the Lions, but I thought he was meant to be back after the break? Haven't heard or seen anything about him.
Digby

Post by Digby »

They said October a few weeks back but that he might be back a little earlier.

I'm surprised to see how soon Itoje especially, but also Farrell and Mako are back playing as an aside
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Me too.
Puja

Post by Puja »

I do expect them to get breaks staggered through the season. If there's one club that I'd trust to look after its players, it's Saracens.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Should we be keeping an eye on Tom Collins as a bolter for the squad? If Watson moves to fullback (please let this happen) then May is the only Jones regular that is a contender for speedster wing position.
I was thinking that. He's certainly looked the part the last couple of games. What's impressed me is that he's imposed himself on a game where his side were getting rinsed - the likes of Wade and Roko have a tendency to go awol when the game's against them, but Collins drove his side against Sarries. It was reminiscent of Robinson actually.

Puja
Collins looked very good in the 15/16 season as well. I'm not quite sure why he was out of favour last season?
Peej

Post by Peej »

Raggs wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Can't recall bad kicks this time, he had a good box kick (upto half way) to clear, and then absolutely nailed a bit of a kick tennis, bouncing it out about 10m from Wuss's try line.
There was the charge down by Alo. It was pretty rank, notwithstanding Alo is bigger than Flatman's car.
I thought it was a 7/10 performance, which would put him above the vast majority of those who played. His passing was quite loopy but it was tipping it down.
Ah yeah, that was poor from him, forgot that.
That's two charge downs in two games then, which won't help his cause.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Scrumhead wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Collins looked very good in the 15/16 season as well. I'm not quite sure why he was out of favour last season?
I asked on here why he had disappeared, plus Elliott. I think injury did for both last season.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Reading in the Telegraph that Slade has been told by Eddie that he sees him as a centre, more specifically a 13 but covering 12 also.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah, he's a great distributor but I've never really got the idea he'd be best at 10.

One thing (among many) that does seem to separate us from NZ is having some serious offloading skills in the backline. Slade is just about the only one I can think of who offers that.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote:Yeah, he's a great distributor but I've never really got the idea he'd be best at 10.

One thing (among many) that does seem to separate us from NZ is having some serious offloading skills in the backline. Slade is just about the only one I can think of who offers that.
I've seen him pass well, but not sure about offloading into and through contact, if that's what you mean?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yes. Exactly that. I'm surprised you say that. Can't think of any English back who is better at it.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote:Yes. Exactly that. I'm surprised you say that. Can't think of any English back who is better at it.
I'm just not sure I've seen him do it much (once on the argentina tour?), but I'm not arguing other english backs do it much either. Our outside back handling is pretty conservative generally, though JJ has the skills, and also Daly.

I did think Slade would have made a very decent 10, and he's not really had much time there, so its unfair to judge, but suspect his decision making isn't quite good enough for Eddie.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Te'o offloads out of contact very well. Just about makes up for the fact that he can't really pass...

And Farrell offloads a lot and pretty effectively.
dronesjr

Post by dronesjr »

Slade to me looks like a ball playing 13/15 rather than a 10/12 and has decent pace and good offloading in the tackle, with a top kicking game. I'd be keen to see a midfield of Farrell/Teo/Slade, I would put good money on it matching our current kicking game on distribution, but also giving us a running game from our centres.

Joseph is a world class 13, but needs to be paired with the right kind of 12 - which I don't think we have without losing out on our extra midfield distributor which is working so effectively at the moment.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mikey Brown wrote:Yeah, he's a great distributor but I've never really got the idea he'd be best at 10.

They've some star players, but generally there's the pace and decision making they bring to the game and that tends to be most marked in the pack and the tight five especially when compared to us. In the front row Vunipola could play for NZ, but I don't see Cole or Hartley as the sort of player they seek, and I can't see why they'd pick any of our locks over Brodie and Whitelock (given how they want to play the game). Billy V I'm sure would interest them 'cause he's a freak, and freaks get away with not having skills like Read

Given our options we need a runner at 12, the number of times we get the ball wide Vs just drifting looks a little daft to me
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Timbo wrote:Te'o offloads out of contact very well. Just about makes up for the fact that he can't really pass...

And Farrell offloads a lot and pretty effectively.
Into and through contact, or do you mean pop passes?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:

They've some star players, but generally there's the pace and decision making they bring to the game and that tends to be most marked in the pack and the tight five especially when compared to us. In the front row Vunipola could play for NZ, but I don't see Cole or Hartley as the sort of player they seek, and I can't see why they'd pick any of our locks over Brodie and Whitelock (given how they want to play the game). Billy V I'm sure would interest them 'cause he's a freak, and freaks get away with not having skills like Read

Given our options we need a runner at 12, the number of times we get the ball wide Vs just drifting looks a little daft to me
Yes, but I think its advisable for all sides....and one who can pass and defend too :)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

dronesjr wrote:Slade to me looks like a ball playing 13/15 rather than a 10/12 and has decent pace and good offloading in the tackle, with a top kicking game. I'd be keen to see a midfield of Farrell/Teo/Slade, I would put good money on it matching our current kicking game on distribution, but also giving us a running game from our centres.

Joseph is a world class 13, but needs to be paired with the right kind of 12 - which I don't think we have without losing out on our extra midfield distributor which is working so effectively at the moment.
Faz/Teo/Slade imo lacks pace, and neither Faz nor Slade will scare anyone with their running; not sure why you wouldn't put Teo and JJ together to be honest, and JJ has increasingly been seen as a distributor for Bath certainly, so I think you can make that work. Personally I'd see Ford, Teo and JJ as a potent midfield, and one that would hold defences and bring the back three into the game with an opportunity to actually do something (some big assumptions on what is happening inside them, but hey, and also selecting the best and most potent back 3)
On a tangential note, we don't have that many world class players (though more than a few years back), so we need to find ways of getting the best out of them, rather than leaving them out!
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Aye. Certainly would be dropping JJ. I think he'd fit perfectly alongside Teo.

But I think Slade could everything Farrel does at 12 far better. I don't see how anyone can have missed his classy offloading game as well as his fantastic long-passing.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

I was impressed by collins as well. How is he defensively overall though?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:

Yes, but I think its advisable for all sides....and one who can pass and defend too :)

Is Loz a running option at 12?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

I'd say so, he certainly likes a run, and seems well balanced.