The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

hugh_woatmeigh

Re: The Glasgow Beach Rugby Thread

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Glasgow's strength in depth is absolutely staggering. That is a decent looking team.

15. Peter Murchie (Captain)
14. Lee Jones
13. Mark Bennett
12. Sam Johnson
11. Rory Hughes
10. Rory Clegg
9. Grayson Hart

1. Gordon Reid
2. Fraser Brown
3. Sila Puafisi
4. Greg Peterson
5. Leone Nakarawa
6. James Eddie
7. Simone Favaro
8. Adam Ashe

Replacements

16. James Malcolm
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Scott Cummings
20. Tyrone Holmes
21. Ali Price
22. Nick Grigg
23. Glenn Bryce
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Yes, that is a good team. I didnt realise that Clegg had re arrived already nor that Ashe was back. Pity to take all the U20s if none of them were going to start though
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Just seen Davidson was concussed not released
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Cameo wrote:Yes, that is a good team. I didnt realise that Clegg had re arrived already nor that Ashe was back. Pity to take all the U20s if none of them were going to start though
Glasgow need them and they will get game time. The real question is why on earth have Edinburgh withheld their two starters yet again. No game for them this weekend..
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Cameo wrote:Yes, that is a good team. I didnt realise that Clegg had re arrived already nor that Ashe was back. Pity to take all the U20s if none of them were going to start though
Glasgow need them and they will get game time. The real question is why on earth have Edinburgh withheld their two starters yet again. No game for them this weekend..
Yeah that is strange. Probs going to the game so was looking forward to seeing them
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Leaky stuff so far, they look like they've just met each other.

And christ... that Scotstoun pitch is absolutely horrendous. The worst in the league by a long way. Probably would have gotten a better game of rugby by playing at rugby park again!
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Mistake from Favaro there IMO... Maul on the 22 and it is rumbling forward at a decent pace, he breaks away and gets the ball out despite the advantage. Odd.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

I've never liked Clancy but that was a poor call. Hughes was down, physios tending to him and it was blatantly obvious play was going to hit them sooner or later.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Grayson Hart is just not present at over half of these rucks. Out of his depth. It's not exactly a fast paced game either.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Dear god. Leinster are so wasteful. They have been waltzing through Glasgow tackles all game and have nothing to show for it.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

If I had to put an estimate on how many tackles Glasgow are missing I would probably say a solid 40%. I have no idea how this is 6-6.
Matt Ha

Post by Matt Ha »

In the end a real dogged and committed performance from Glasgow. Great effort given the number of injuries.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Massive cahonas. Must win, was won.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Agreed, excellent win. The line up was absolutely rag-tag by the end of the game on paper at least.

I only caught the second half while in the gym so didn't pay a lot of attention. Can anyone let me know how Grigg got on? It's not often you see a centre that small make it through the age groups and into the senior squad.
Tobylerone

Post by Tobylerone »

Grigg did well, especially in such trying circumstances.. Attempt at decapitating Irishman shows admirable character..Ha.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Oh and Cardiff have gotten an excellent result tonight, done Glasgow a big favour. Top 2 looks a stretch too far but if they beat Ulster and Scarlets fall away... 3rd is possible, 4th a little more realistic. It would be some achievement after all that has happened this season.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Tobylerone wrote:Grigg did well, especially in such trying circumstances.. Attempt at decapitating Irishman shows admirable character..Ha.
Cheers. What are his strengths? I know he's played pre-season for Glasgow but have never seen him play before.
Tobylerone

Post by Tobylerone »

Huge defensive effort by all really, sorry can`t be more precise re. Grigg.

Others might..?
Matt Ha

Post by Matt Ha »

Two other thoughts. Price is better than Heart. And if anything happens to either Seymour or Visser (and Maitland remains in the doghouse ) then I seriously think Jones should be considered.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Matt Ha wrote:Two other thoughts. Price is better than Heart. And if anything happens to either Seymour or Visser (and Maitland remains in the doghouse ) then I seriously think Jones should be considered.
I think everyone will agree with you on the first point. I said Price should have been included in the original Scotland squad, he has been getting better with every game this season.

Grayson Hart was absolutely horrendous last night. He does occasionally put in a great performance but they are rare. I have no idea why Scottish rugby is persisting with this guy. He was missing from half of the rucks last night and when he was there he was slowing down the quick ball that Glasgow did get. He also loses the ball/falls over players at ruck time far too often. He's just crap at all the things that should be the bread and butter of a scrum half. Someone needs to explain it to me - Edinburgh made some effort to sign him. Glasgow signed him from Edinburgh. He has Scotland caps and is regularly included in our squads. WTF is going on here?

If Cusiter is planning to wind down his career I would love to see him back at Glasgow to guide Pyrgos and Price. Blair will likely retire at the end of this season and Hart really needs to be booted. Glasgow could use a Corey Flynn type signing at 9 that will provide quality and experience at 9 in the international windows.
Croft_No.5

Post by Croft_No.5 »

The news on Blair isn't great. He may not play again as the effects of concussion are back. Real shame, though I expect he will stay and help with the coaching
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

If the weeg beat Ulster next game then they're in a very good position to break into the top 4 given they have to play Italian teams 3 times in the run in.

I think there are a few Scotland boys that don't need a rest should be straight back into the 23.

Hogg, Seymour, Russell should sit out in the backs. In the forwards obviously JG will be out and maybe Wilson needs a rest. Otherwise they are looking pretty strong.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Dunbar may have a trip to the disciplinary committee.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Im fairly confident theyl make the top 4 although Ulster is obviously a huge game.

I know connacht have been really good this season but assuming we get an away semi I think I'd prefer them than Leinster. We also have them last up in the league which could make an interesting couple of games.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Cameo wrote:Im fairly confident theyl make the top 4 although Ulster is obviously a huge game.

I know connacht have been really good this season but assuming we get an away semi I think I'd prefer them than Leinster. We also have them last up in the league which could make an interesting couple of games.
Glasgow have Scarlets in the run-in too. I don't see them as a huge threat. Along with Connacht they're one of the teams to have benefited from the RWC.