The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

hugh_woatmeigh

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

I know there's 15 mins to play but who even does this to Munster? Not since the final that the Weeg won at least.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Made hard work of that but got there eventually. Sarto digging out.
Matt Ha

Post by Matt Ha »

Monster run by Sarto. Fought his way past five tacklers there
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Matt Ha wrote:Monster run by Sarto. Fought his way past five tacklers there
Like it ain't even sh&t
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Considering the number of X factor forwards we have (at international level) is Pat Mac really such a bad option? Rarely does wrong. Solid player.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Great game by the weeg, is it me or does Nigel have a real soft spot for Munster , for years I have thought he refs the other team differently.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

whatisthejava wrote:Great game by the weeg, is it me or does Nigel have a real soft spot for Munster , for years I have thought he refs the other team differently.

He legit wears a red munner shirt every match. That was superb from the weeg. Just fantastic.

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Guest »

[quote="hugh_woatmeigh"]Sure Turner makes a mistake here and there but what about the other contributions? Guy thinks he's keven Meleamau ... how did Edinburgh miss this fella?[/quote]He had a good game. Doesn't mean that wasn't poor for their try.

Glasgow are full of confidence which is good for new players. Their game plan is open which suits Turner too.

The loan seems like an SRU/DoR decision, the move only happened after Browns injury and given Rambo is looking like Cockerills number one (started all games he's been available for) it had to be Turner that moved as Ford doesn't suit the Glasgow game plan and Cochrane isn't an international option.

I'm glad he is doing well, he needed to take his chance as he didn't shine at London Scottish either IIRC.
Big D

Post by Big D »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Sure Turner makes a mistake here and there but what about the other contributions? Guy thinks he's keven Meleamau ... how did Edinburgh miss this fella?
He had a good game. Doesn't mean that wasn't poor for their try.

Glasgow are full of confidence which is good for new players. Their game plan is open which suits Turner too.

The loan seems like an SRU/DoR decision, the move only happened after Browns injury and given Rambo is looking like Cockerills number one (started all games he's been available for) it had to be Turner that moved as Ford doesn't suit the Glasgow game plan and Cochrane isn't an international option. It's been good to see 2 hookers not named Brown or Ford playing well.

I'm glad he is doing well, he needed to take his chance as he didn't shine at London Scottish either IIRC.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

I should really get tickets more often if glasgow are going to play like that. It was just going thru my mind to ask n here how Cummings went when he went over for his try right in front of us, brilliant.

Have to say tho, Munster gave the most unMunster like performance I can remember seeing from them. Take nothing away from Glasgow, but that wasnt a true Munster performance.

Thought refs game was fantastic, Glasgow play right on the line, and if we're being honest usually a fair distance over it, but the ref was pretty good at keeping everyone as honest as is possible. If yr complaining about him favouring Munster, maybe ask why they got a yellow and a red and we didnt?

Great game tho, skills, commitment and not too much booing. Happy days.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Interesting results tonight. Glasgow, ulster and cheetahs handing out beatings and Treviso beating the ospreys. That's the ospreys 1 win from 4.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Donny osmond wrote:I should really get tickets more often if glasgow are going to play like that. It was just going thru my mind to ask n here how Cummings went when he went over for his try right in front of us, brilliant.

Have to say tho, Munster gave the most unMunster like performance I can remember seeing from them. Take nothing away from Glasgow, but that wasnt a true Munster performance.

Thought refs game was fantastic, Glasgow play right on the line, and if we're being honest usually a fair distance over it, but the ref was pretty good at keeping everyone as honest as is possible. If yr complaining about him favouring Munster, maybe ask why they got a yellow and a red and we didnt?

You mean apart from pulling a mail down 5m from the try line and a cheap shot to the head?
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

whatisthejava wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:I should really get tickets more often if glasgow are going to play like that. It was just going thru my mind to ask n here how Cummings went when he went over for his try right in front of us, brilliant.

You mean apart from pulling a mail down 5m from the try line and a cheap shot to the head?
Was the maul not the reason for the yellow and the cheap.shot was the red?

It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Tobylerone

Post by Tobylerone »

Sarto looks as though he could be quite useful to Glasgow..
Maybe good enough to win M.O.M. sometime in the future..?
ARM

Post by ARM »

ARM wrote:Gotta admire Munster...

...but it's Feckin great to beat them.
Even better to smash them off the park.

Great ambition from the Weeg.

So Gibbins is fairly handy. Sarto too. Price makes Pyrgos look ponderous. Just need to find a scrum. Fagerson is getting smashed every game. Like Cummings a lot but he and Swinson might not be locking the front row with enough grunt.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

A good win that but I actually felt that Glasgow left some points on the pitch there. It's still not quite all clicking the way that it did when they were at their actual best but really encouraging signs. Also, sorry to echo Hugh Dan but Russells kicking was excellent, he's really improved that part of his game.

Finally good on Nigel Owens for insisting that Swinsons head knock was checked and then sending him off the field. Can't think of many refs who would have stopped the game to do so, especially so near to the end. Just goes to show how easily the muster lock could have gotten away with that though and makes you wonder how many there are that don't get noticed each game.
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
whatisthejava wrote:Great game by the weeg, is it me or does Nigel have a real soft spot for Munster , for years I have thought he refs the other team differently.

He legit wears a red munner shirt every match. That was superb from the weeg. Just fantastic.
Feck sake lads. Ye hand us a deserved drubbing and Nige digs into his pockets to give us a couple of cards on the way - and ye still find it in ye to bitch about the ref?

Fair play to Glasgow. That was pretty emphatic payback for last season's 4-game whitewash. Sorry about Fineen. It was a cheap shot. I suspect that the damage to Swinson was done by the fractionally earlier clash of heads but I hope he isn't affected beyond the usual protocols.
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

Mikey Brown wrote:I love hating Munster.
That's ironic, given we all speak so highly of you, MB.
Idle Feck
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:

Feck sake lads. Ye hand us a deserved drubbing and Nige digs into his pockets to give us a couple of cards on the way - and ye still find it in ye to bitch about the ref?

Fair play to Glasgow. That was pretty emphatic payback for last season's 4-game whitewash. Sorry about Fineen. It was a cheap shot. I suspect that the damage to Swinson was done by the fractionally earlier clash of heads but I hope he isn't affected beyond the usual protocols.
Morning Serj. Don't think it's at all unreasonable to suggest that Munster fans are rather happy when they see they've got Nigel as their ref when the officials are announced, is it?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

BTW this Sarto on the bench nonsense has to stop. He's not going to be around during the international periods so play him. He may well be Glasgow's best winger...
SerjeantWildgoose

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Morning Serj. Don't think it's at all unreasonable to suggest that Munster fans are rather happy when they see they've got Nigel as their ref when the officials are announced, is it?
No sense in denying that we like being reffed by Nige, though not perhaps with as much justification as a few years ago. It used to be, when Quinny and DOC were in the pack, that we regarded Nige as the 16th man. Not sure if that's because they learned to play his margins so perfectly or because they were complete tarts and made eyes at the bloke.

I suspect that, while we can no longer rely on a bit of flirting to win the marginal calls, we play a game that tends to suite Nige's interpretation. I would not go remotely close to suggesting that he favours Munster simply because they are Munster - huge difference.

I would go so far as to say that the Glasgow fans would boo Father Christmas if they saw him make his way down next door's chimney and any suggestion that the ref contributed to what little we managed to salvage from yesterday's deserved thrashing is bollocks.
Idle Feck
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

It's just a bit of fun, I definitely don't think the second try should have stood though. Whether Nigel shouted advantage over or not isn't really relevant - Glasgow barely made ground and that kind of loose, risky passing is exactly what people do when they think they have the advantage on their side... That should have come back for the original knock on. I think it was a knock on at least, I'd had a few refreshing beverages by that point but it looked like Nige feeling sorry for Munner and letting that one slide.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Like the look of Weeg at the breakdown this year. There's something almost Kiwi...funnily enough...about the speed and body positions of their rucking. Very fast, very low, borderline (way past the gain line)

Price is then on to it like a whippet on acid.

I like it.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

ARM wrote:Like the look of Weeg at the breakdown this year. There's something almost Kiwi...funnily enough...about the speed and body positions of their rucking. Very fast, very low, borderline (way past the gain line)

Price is then on to it like a whippet on acid.

I like it.

Yeah it was nice to see the weeg carrying guys well past the gain line, Munster have done it for years, that weeg team is back to winning hard games but they need to carry it on