The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Big D »

So 5 French clubs and 1 English club in the great Finn Russell auction of 2017. Apparently Racing have put 450k on the table. That is 20% more than Scotlands current highest paid player.

If the bidding has started at 450k+ I can't see the SRU getting close.

Speculating on what teams:
Metro have apparently offered 450k. But Carter is apparently signing for another year and Lambie is going there. So it would be strange to add Russell at that price.
Montpellier - VC is there but so is Cruden.

So perhaps we are looking at one of the above and:
Clermont - only really have Lopez.
Stade Francais - Steyn must be getting on a bit, Geraghty is a non factor and Plisson a bit inconsistent.
Toulon are lacking a quality 10 IMO. Tin Duck isn't a real quality 10.
Toulose are lacking at 10 too.

The English club could be really interesting. Lozowski is leaving Sarries, Farrell to 12*? Bath? Quins? Hopefully not someone like Sale or Gloucester.

* highly unlikely but I could add an element to his game that would be to Scotlands benefit.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

He needs to be very careful with his next step. A lot of players in the Top 14 and English Prem are on record against the number of games played. Vunipola has been on the BBC saying he'd happily take a pay cut to play less games. Naka also seems very unhappy and is longing for a return to Glasgow but is in contract anyway.

I know it's a short career but the money isn't always worth it.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yup. Definitely talk to Nakarawa about Racing first, seems a whole load of starts have gone there and it's been a complete failure. I can't see him at Saracens. I'd love him at Quins but don't see that either to be honest. We hate spending money and are banking our entire future on 18 year old Marcus Smith. He really must avoid becoming another random Scot at Sale/Glos/Newcastle too. Not sure what that leaves.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Mikey Brown wrote:Yup. Definitely talk to Nakarawa about Racing first, seems a whole load of starts have gone there and it's been a complete failure. I can't see him at Saracens. I'd love him at Quins but don't see that either to be honest. We hate spending money and are banking our entire future on 18 year old Marcus Smith. He really must avoid becoming another random Scot at Sale/Glos/Newcastle too. Not sure what that leaves.
My memory of Naka's move was he pretty much had one option if he left and he left for the money (they bought him out of contract IIRC). He hasn't been used how he'd like to be i.e more of a "system" second row where he is to hit it up, clear out, hit it up without really getting to play his preferred style of rugby.

Finn should be able to chose his preferred destination out of the offers on the table, and as a 10 I imagine they'll be more detailed discussions about teams game plans etc.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Big D wrote:So 5 French clubs and 1 English club in the great Finn Russell auction of 2017. Apparently Racing have put 450k on the table. That is 20% more than Scotlands current highest paid player.

Metro have apparently offered 450k. But Carter is apparently signing for another year and Lambie is going there. So it would be strange to add Russell at that price.

Stade Francais - Steyn must be getting on a bit, Geraghty is a non factor and Plisson a bit inconsistent.

The English club could be really interesting. Lozowski is leaving Sarries, Farrell to 12*? Bath? Quins? Hopefully not someone like Sale or Gloucester.

* highly unlikely but I could add an element to his game that would be to Scotlands benefit.
Toulon are currently developing a couple of good "French" 10s. You should check out "Belleau" who is getting a lot more game time than Trin dhuc.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Big D wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Yup. Definitely talk to Nakarawa about Racing first, seems a whole load of starts have gone there and it's been a complete failure. I can't see him at Saracens. I'd love him at Quins but don't see that either to be honest. We hate spending money and are banking our entire future on 18 year old Marcus Smith. He really must avoid becoming another random Scot at Sale/Glos/Newcastle too. Not sure what that leaves.
My memory of Naka's move was he pretty much had one option if he left and he left for the money (they bought him out of contract IIRC). He hasn't been used how he'd like to be i.e more of a "system" second row where he is to hit it up, clear out, hit it up without really getting to play his preferred style of rugby.

Finn should be able to chose his preferred destination out of the offers on the table, and as a 10 I imagine they'll be more detailed discussions about teams game plans etc.
I believe Naka got to play 8 against Clermont last week, he is not as free as he was with the weegies, but it seems the Racing game plan is improving this season. I guess Goosen running away didn't help last year. Wouldn't want Russel anywhere close to the Top14 at the moment.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Adder wrote:
Big D wrote:So 5 French clubs and 1 English club in the great Finn Russell auction of 2017. Apparently Racing have put 450k on the table. That is 20% more than Scotlands current highest paid player.

Toulon are currently developing a couple of good "French" 10s. You should check out "Belleau" who is getting a lot more game time than Trin dhuc.
I knew they were developing young options, just hadn't seen them this season so didn't know how advanced they were.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I really rate Trinc Dhuc. Id he had been fit France would have been a lot better to watch these last few years
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

15. Ruaridh Jackson (117)
14. Tommy Seymour (102)
13. Nick Grigg (24)
12. Sam Johnson (26)
11. Lee Jones (58)
10. Peter Horne (120)
9. Henry Pyrgos (129)

1. Alex Allan (53)
2. Pat MacArthur (157)
3. D’Arcy Rae (27)
4. Brian Alainu’uese (19)
5. Scott Cummings (21)
6. Robert Harley (164)
7. Chris Fusaro (126)
8. Ryan Wilson (130) CAPTAIN

Replacements:

16. Fraser Brown (64)
17. Jamie Bhatti (10)
18. Adam Nicol (1)
19. Tim Swinson (101)
20. Matt Fagerson (12)
21. Ali Price (45)
22. Brandon Thomson (3)
23. Niko Matawalu (75)
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Looks real second choicey.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Ryan Grant signs again on a short term deal. Plus Bobby Beattie - Hawks wing & centre. I am guessing cover for Dunbar & the wing injuries?
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Good to see the scaley back.
AL.

Post by AL. »

Bordering on criminal that this isnt televised but Edinburgh is (as an Edinburgh fan not looking forward to having my evening ruined....again...)

http://www.pro14rugby.org/fixtures/
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

AL. wrote:Bordering on criminal that this isnt televised but Edinburgh is (as an Edinburgh fan not looking forward to having my evening ruined....again...)

Very odd. I wonder why.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
AL. wrote:Bordering on criminal that this isnt televised but Edinburgh is (as an Edinburgh fan not looking forward to having my evening ruined....again...)

Very odd. I wonder why.
Probably something to do with Alba leveraging TG4s broadcast of Leinster and no Italian TV coverage that BBC Scotland/Alba could use.

Why BBC Scot/Alba have to rely on other broadcasters I have no idea and Warriors/SRU couldn't just broadcast it themselves when this happens
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

This isn't a new thing. Alba virtually always piggy back on other feeds.
Big D

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Big D »

OptimisticJock wrote:This isn't a new thing. Alba virtually always piggy back on other feeds.
Yup no conspiracy here.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

G-unit returns.

15. Ruaridh Jackson (118)
14. Tommy Seymour (103)
13. Nick Grigg (25)
12. Sam Johnson (27)
11. Leonardo Sarto (11)
10. Finn Russell (67)
9. Ali Price (46)

1. Jamie Bhatti (11)
2. Fraser Brown (65)
3. Zander Fagerson (54)
4. Tim Swinson (102)
5. Jonny Gray (73)
6. Ryan Wilson (131) CAPTAIN
7. Callum Gibbins (3)
8. Adam Ashe (43)

Replacements

16. Geroge Turner (4)
17. Alex Allan (54)
18. D’Arcy Rae (28)
19. Brian Alainu’uese (20)
20. Rob Harley (165)
21. Henry Pyrgos (130)
22. Peter Horne (121)
23. Niko Matawalu (76)

Unavailable players: Rory Hughes (shoulder), Chris Fusaro (head), Lelia Masaga (calf), James Malcolm (ankle), Alex Dunbar (knee), Stuart Hogg (shoulder), Oli Kebble (foot), Paddy Kelly (ankle), Ratu Tagive (achilles), Richie Vernon (achilles) and Samuela Vunisa (knee).
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Great newa that both Gray and Hogg look like returning before the AI

We will need them and the rest to stay fit if we want to push the all blacks
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Noticed Hastings has dropped off the injured players list. Is that just random or is he back soon?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Cameo wrote:Noticed Hastings has dropped off the injured players list. Is that just random or is he back soon?
He was only meant to be out 3-4 weeks I think. I don't think he's really needed anyway with Horne there.

Sure he'll get lots of game time during AIs and 6Ns & when Finn/Horne rested.
Edinburgh in Exile

Post by Edinburgh in Exile »

Ropey as fuck lineout from the weeg so far.

Hell of a try from the cheetahs.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Too many penas'
Edinburgh in Exile

Post by Edinburgh in Exile »

OptimisticJock wrote:Too many penas'
Could be worse, they could be 3 - 5 down at Home to Zebra.

Cheetahs look like the real deal at home in fairness. The weeg could do with taking the 3 every now and then.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Good effort from gibbins.

Ffs Embra.