Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

FKAS

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by FKAS »

Michael Cheika confirmed as Tigers coach. Should make life interesting, hopefully in a good way. He's going to be in the country to start on Monday.

On his appointment, Cheika said: “Honestly, I wasn’t looking at the Premiership and didn’t have the desire to coach in it until Leicester Tigers came to me. But, the opportunity to coach at Tigers and lead this group of players turned my head.”
Which Tyler

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Which Tyler »

AKA - "I wasn't particularly interested in coaching in England, nothing against it, but wasn't an ambition of mine.
But I've been unemployed for the last 6 months, and the opportunity for a salary and a new challenge turned my head"

Which is 100% fair.

Good appointment by Leicester
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Which Tyler wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:26 am AKA - "I wasn't particularly interested in coaching in England, nothing against it, but wasn't an ambition of mine.
But I've been unemployed for the last 6 months, and the opportunity for a salary and a new challenge turned my head"

Which is 100% fair.

Didn't think any of the big clubs in the northern hemisphere really gave a toss as I haven't managed at club level in ages. Tigers underperformed last season and this seems like a gig I can do well in after not working for a while and not getting an NRL gig.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Which Tyler wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:26 am AKA - "I wasn't particularly interested in coaching in England, nothing against it, but wasn't an ambition of mine.

Which is 100% fair.

He’s worth north of £20m last time I looked. I’m not sure the opportunity of a salary is the pull factor - it’s probs the weather.

Great appointment for Leicester and the Prem as a whole.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Adam_P wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:41 pm Sam Matavesi is leaving Saints to head overseas - not yet confirmed where, but thought to be Lyon
Lyon it is, for two seasons.

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/2024/06/27/tra ... 044030.php
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

francoisfou wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:14 am
Adam_P wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:41 pm Sam Matavesi is leaving Saints to head overseas - not yet confirmed where, but thought to be Lyon

Let’s hope his brother stays put - he’s been class when turning out for Bedford.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Mellsblue wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:02 am

Which is 100% fair.

He’s worth north of £20m last time I looked. I’m not sure the opportunity of a salary is the pull factor - it’s probs the weather.

Great appointment for Leicester and the Prem as a whole.
That's a good point he earned a fortune selling jeans didn't he?

In his welcome Q&A he said he talked to Montoya about the Leicestershire lifestyle and whether he'd fit in with the club. If Julian told him Leicestershire is a good place to be then Cheika obviously believes him. To be fair there's some nice villages and small towns in Leicestershire there's just no worthwhile big city living. Weather is definitely not a draw.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Tigers chief executive Andrea Pinchen said Leicester feel Cheika is the "right person to take this team, this club, back to where we know we should be".

“I also accept that the past week is not what fans expected, and nor did we, but the decisions we have made are for the long-term benefit of Leicester Tigers and after lengthy, detailed and very honest conversations with Michael in recent days, we are on the same page about what is now necessary to see this club back on top," Pinchen said.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:28 am Tigers chief executive Andrea Pinchen said Leicester feel Cheika is the "right person to take this team, this club, back to where we know we should be".

“I also accept that the past week is not what fans expected, and nor did we, but the decisions we have made are for the long-term benefit of Leicester Tigers and after lengthy, detailed and very honest conversations with Michael in recent days, we are on the same page about what is now necessary to see this club back on top," Pinchen said.
I guess it saves money on speechwriters to just be able to re-use the same one every 12-18 months.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I think Cheika's appointment will be very interesting if nothing else. It might well pay off, he certainly has something but seems to be very inconsistent in terms of gelling a squad together. No idea what his history as a club coach is like though.

England have missed having a chippie Aussie in the mix too. I actually quite like him and he seems to have a bit more self-awareness than Eddie.
Puja

Post by Puja »

I'm actually quite pleased - I wanted Cheika back when he was linked with the job initially and, while I'd still prefer not to be going onto our 7th boss in 7 seasons, he's an experienced head who's had success at club level before and knows how to build a team, and having him here immediately will make a massive difference. It is the best resolution to a bad situation.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:49 am I'm actually quite pleased - I wanted Cheika back when he was linked with the job initially and, while I'd still prefer not to be going onto our 7th boss in 7 seasons, he's an experienced head who's had success at club level before and knows how to build a team, and having him here immediately will make a massive difference. It is the best resolution to a bad situation.

Puja
It's good to have an experienced operator at the helm and for once with a well rounded coaching setup. There's the potential that Hewatt is the natural successor for Cheika to hand the reigns to in 2 years time though looking that far ahead as a Tigers fan is more than a bit optimistic.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Have Australian coaches done that well in England?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Oakboy wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:40 am Have Australian coaches done that well in England?
Pat Howard did well for Leicester. Other than that, have there really been many?

Puja
Backist Monk
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Puja wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:26 am
Oakboy wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:40 am Have Australian coaches done that well in England?
Pat Howard did well for Leicester. Other than that, have there really been many?

Puja
Dwyer? Otherwise, I could not think of any. Jones was a disaster with England, of course. I just wondered if a typical Aussie fitted with English rugby mentality. Australian rugby is not the natural base of excellence that NZ or SA might claim. A good coach is a good coach, I suppose.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Oakboy wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:41 pm
Puja wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:26 am

Puja
Dwyer? Otherwise, I could not think of any. Jones was a disaster with England, of course. I just wondered if a typical Aussie fitted with English rugby mentality. Australian rugby is not the natural base of excellence that NZ or SA might claim. A good coach is a good coach, I suppose.
Jones era is split pre and post 2019 world cup. Pre 2019 world cup he was a major success, post 2019 world cup we descended into madness and it was a disaster.

Dwyer and Howard both did well at Tigers.

I am struggling to think of others to be fair.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Connolly and Meehan weren't bad at Bath in their times (even if polar opposites in terms of gameplans)
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Mellsblue wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:16 am
francoisfou wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:14 am

Let’s hope his brother stays put - he’s been class when turning out for Bedford.
Joel is also off I'm afraid!
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Adam_P wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:43 pm Rumours of George Smith, ex Coventry lock, joining Saints. He was at Twickenham hanging out with the non playing squad in Saints clothing at the weekend.

If true then the NFL IPP obviously hasn't worked for him.

Could be a decent replacement for Moon. He is certainly a specimen.
George Smith now confirmed. 6'8" and 138 kg, with the highest power to weight scores the club has seen in years according to Dowson. Could be a handy addition.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Adam_P wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:49 pm
Adam_P wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:43 pm Rumours of George Smith, ex Coventry lock, joining Saints. He was at Twickenham hanging out with the non playing squad in Saints clothing at the weekend.

George Smith now confirmed. 6'8" and 138 kg, with the highest power to weight scores the club has seen in years according to Dowson. Could be a handy addition.
He's a big lad. Be interesting to see if he can make the step up from Championship to Premiership. If nothing else his size will help the Saints scrum.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

It would interesting to know what the NFL IPP camp did to his stats.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:00 pm

It would interesting to know what the NFL IPP camp did to his stats.
I'd imagine it's probably pumped his one rep max up by a hell of a lot. Whether he can still go 80 minutes is a different matter.

Puja
Backist Monk
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Another lock added to the stocks - Callum Hunter-Hill signs for Saints from Saracens
jimKRFC

Post by jimKRFC »

Andrew Turner, lhp, gets a season on loan to Doncaster from Bristol. Hopefully he comes on like James Dunn did during his loan.
Puja

Post by Puja »

jimKRFC wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:14 pm Andrew Turner, lhp, gets a season on loan to Doncaster from Bristol. Hopefully he comes on like James Dunn did during his loan.
Isn't that the one that played for the Crusaders?

Puja
Backist Monk